Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Should I move to Australia?

Junior Potato
    80mm I just heavy rain for a few days. DN’s in Sydney so everything’s fine.

Sorry - was out of the country! Probably sitting at the baseball in Oakland when you posted!

The drought is inland (where very few people live, but has our farming). The costal areas get plenty of rain. We have droughts, but still get reasonable rain during a drought. Its relative - near me we get about 1400mm/55 inches a year, but its not a shock to get half that. That for a couple of years is a drought and can impact our water supply (we are mostly dam based). Go just 100km inland and the average is probably 600mm/year, so the average changes very quickly with distance from the coast and mountains.

Quick look on wikipedia and it says that there have been days with rain over 100mm (4inch), last November we got that much in 2 hours. I remember it flooding part of my apartment complex, the people next to me had it flood right thru their place. Luckily Im about a metre higher than them, so go nothing but a wet yard.
    Very heavy rain is common, with storm cells dropping lots of rain and hail in a few hours. Less often is the "rain for days", but they usually a light rain and end up with less total rainfall than a good storm.

Although just before I left we did get a few days with very heavy rain (which is probably what you are referring to) had some flooding which makes the roads bad. A bridge near my place flooded - no not the creek below it (about 40m/120feet) but the drains on the bridge clogged with leaves and couldnt clear the water. One direction was down from 3 lanes to 1, on a road that is normally stop-go in peak hour, it was a complete mess, traffic banked up for many miles. Luckily I was going the other direction and only had to go a few hundred metres to my turn to my place.

But all good and thanks for caring!

Like RWA implies, the (Canadian) Weather Network sometimes likes to hype things up.
    https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca

And G'day looked briefly like he'd fixed his Chrome login problems, but perhaps not.

Once again, The Simpsons predicted the future.

Well, maybe not...but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw the Australian PM video on Digg today.

]

Junior Potato
    Just a normal everyday morning in STRAYA

I drove the Spyder into town to pickup some takeaway (support local restaurant when they could only do takeaway). Anyway I had the exhaust on loud and gave it a little blat going thru a roundabout. Stop at the restaurant and about 2 mins later I hear the local guy in his ute doing his best to rise to my apparent challenge! Very nice v8 ute sounding great. Went up and down the town twice (its not a big town) and he was happy. But yes clearly a marking his turf.
    So yes this a thing and does seem to be a v8 ute thing.

Junior Potato

Get that weak shit off my track

For years, I have been gently prodding my gal to look for opportunities in other countries. Aus/NZ is high on my list, but she is apprehensive. She seems risk-averse and prefers the safety of North American-based positions. I think it would be really cool to live in a (different) foreign country for a while. *shrug*

Junior Potato
    Yeah, there's not a lot of room for science to occur here, unless she's happy to advance the coal mining industry.

She's into dirt and water, am I right?

There's lots of dirt here, but not a lot of water. And it's really hot year-round. NZ has plenty of both, plus it's not too bad over there if you like cold weather.

Personally NZ is my pick for a place to live right now. It's summertime and Auckland is 21 degrees today! I'd like to live in Christchurch, a good spot if you don't like visitors. The extra connecting flight keeps people away.