Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I move to Australia?

Sydney is not desert... the desert is a few thousand kms away.
    As I mentioned - we are also "humid subtropical"...

Sure the hottest days (over 40C) do tend to be dry, we get plenty of high 30s that are also humid. Sydney is over 60% humidity today, but its not an overly humid day (lovely clear skies!), the weekend it will go up and include storms while also staying hot.
    So we get both, the real hot and dry days, but also very hot and humid.
    It tends to go - hot dry, hot humid, storm with massive hail, repeat...

All those "hottest places in the world" were inland and would be dry.

Junior Potato
    Another thing we’ve got to watch out for are our politicians.

At least overseas the political divide is:

UK: Brexit vs. not Brexit
    USA: love Trump vs. hate Trump

But in Australia it’s:

Pro religious child molesters vs. trying to perform considered centrist politics

So come here for our beaches and other natural wonders, but for the love of god don’t turn on the news.

We definitely don’t get the hail but we get the serious storms that just pop up out of nowhere and are gone just as fast...lightning capital they say.

I know it’s not desert but what I read said the hottest days are fueled by the hot dry air from the desert.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    I can't properly compare the USA and Aussie, because i was in Aussie in February/March one year, and in the USA in July/August another year.

But the USA (South/North Carolina and Florida particularly) was by far the hottest 'feeling' place i've ever been to, made Australia look like a nice place to go to cool down a little. New York was a little more to my liking, and more like the temp i remember from Aussie. We never left Manhattan though, so don't know if its hotter with less skyscrapers around.

But all of that was too hot for me, i'm comfortable in my cities normal range of 20-25 celsius (68-77 F) thanks.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; January 16th, 2019 at 09:05 PM.

It seems to me that JoeW is confusing Adelaide and Sydney. Adelaide gets the hot 40% humidity days but a Sydney 95-100F day typically is reasonably humid. It’s only the 110 days that are low humidity but when you get above that (highest I’ve experienced in Sydney was 118) it’s pretty brutal even if the humidity is 40.
    Last edited by IMOA; January 17th, 2019 at 06:30 AM.

Anything is possible. I just looked up Sydney weather stats and patterns. Probably the same as DN did for Tampa.

The squeamish among us (the non-Australians, I guess) should avoid clicking on that.

Junior Potato
    Oh yeah! Those ticks have been removed and the snake is expected to make a full recovery.

It never occurred to me ticks infested snakes.

I grew up living snakes and reptiles as much as possible, never read about it once. Makes sense though, glad to see the snake should be ok.