• Former smoker

7 14.89%
  • Occasional social smoker

6 12.77%
  • Totally addicted

3 6.38%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Smoke?

Yes, subconsciously you didn’t want to subject the dog to 2nd hand smoke, that’s why the hesitation... now your conscience can be clear!

Right. Wouldn’t have been a factor, considering I never smoked in the house.

Dog is still on hold, smoking is definitely gone.

Administrator
    I think I mentioned it before, but Michele and I took up hiking after we quit. Was nice to have something we enjoyed that required some lung capacity, so we knew it'd actively hurt that if we smoked.

Doesn't have to be hiking, but hopefully something you really enjoy that gets the blood pumping a bit.

Sorry, regarding that, this post provides somewhat negative data points.
    I really can't imagine the above Strava cyclist as a smoker, however.

Spoiler:
    When I used to bicycle a lot (in the vicinity of Toronto) in the early 1980's my best friend at the time was a bit of a closet smoker. He and I would go on longish bicycle rides, and were about the same strength. He didn't usually smoke at all on a bicycle ride. But at parties and such he would, although he'd definitely avoid smoking while around "bicycle people".

One time he and I drove north of Toronto in the winter to go cross-country ski-ing and got caught by a bit of storm as I was driving home. (Well, to tell the truth we saw the storm building up but sort of ignored it so we could keep ski-ing). He felt the need for cigarettes then, but was careful to open his window a crack and keep the cigarette and its smoke mostly outside.

Eventually, after moving to Ottawa, he hooked up with a serious (30km/hr+ long hilly rides) cycling group there and actually became a lot stronger than I ever became. Not sure what his smoking status was then.

He was a relatively new father when I last saw him in Ottawa, and so was almost certainly doing the "only smoke outside" thing, if he was smoking at all.

I am very rarely around anyone who smokes. Because of that, encountering someone who does is very shocking. A few days ago, I was in a public toilet and someone came in smoking. I was literally choked out of the place. My dad smoked for the first 15 years or so of my life. I did not think anything of it back then because I grew up with it. Now, I am really offended by smoking.

I recently dealt with someone chewing (and spitting) tobacco. That is almost more offensive. A least I do not have to breathe second-hand smoke in that case.

I've heard that for smokers who've quit tend to end up finding 2nd hand smoke extremely offensive. Maybe dad forced you to be a smoker for the 1st 15 years of your life..., kinda made you a smoker for the 1st 15 years of your life..., then unknowingly quit... and now you find it really offensive?

My wife found it extremely offensive, but that's because she has breathing issues sometimes. I personally just find it annoying and would just hold my breath.

Recently in downtown LA, I walked by a smoker who's very considerate... he held his hand/arm high... at first I was a bit worried that perhaps he has some mental issues, but then realized he was holding a cigarette and just didn't want me and my daughter smelling 2nd hand smoke. How thoughtful, huh? Still, hope he'll be able to quit soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Doesn't have to be hiking, but hopefully something you really enjoy that gets the blood pumping a bit.
    Hmm, I think I know where you're going with this.

Anyway, it's been almost a week and I'm rolling through the withdrawal period with less anxiety than in previous attempts. Not trying to boast out loud...not enough time has passed yet, and there always exists the possibility of a relapse, but I'm not terribly worried about it at the moment. My last serious quit attempt was in the fall of 2016, and it was hell. Lasted only 12 days - which was 8 days, then a relapse, then four additional days, then failure. The 'nicotine monster' was really fucking with my mind at that time. It's considerably less intense right now.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Anxiety? I recommend masturbation.
    acket.

Awkward in public but a sound strategy regardless.

It will definitely get you on a special registry.