• Former smoker

7 14.89%
  • Occasional social smoker

6 12.77%
  • Totally addicted

3 6.38%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoke?

Occasional social smoker when I was younger. Asthma doesn't seem to be affected from it much when I did do it. My allergies on the other hand were NOT happy about it.

I smoked for 16 years(from 21-37). After I quit it was amazing how easy it was to spot a smoker by their stench. For the longest time I couldn't even tolerate the smell, let alone being around someone who is smoking. One of the biggest positives to quitting was my chronic bronchitis and asthma went away. Getting bronchitis used to be a yearly ordeal, now I've had it one time in the seven years since I've quit.

I'll have a smoke every once in a while - maybe five or six times a year. A cigarette, a cigar, trees. Pretty rare, but sometimes the mood strikes me. Never more than one of whatever it is.

Some social puffs on a cigarette or cigar or pipe when I was in college, pretty much solely because it's fun to play with the smoke. Nothing since.

One of the interesting things about driving a convertible is that you smell much more of the world around you as you drive, including the guy three cars up who is smoking a cigarette.
    Whoomah!

My grandfather was a heavy smoker, and was in very poor health due to massive emphysema throughout my childhood, then died (from it) when I was about 13.

So that showed me very vividly just how dangerous smoking is. From that learning, I've never smoked anything ever.

I've dated a smoker, and it was incredibly difficult.

Trees? Is that a 420 reference? Sorry for my cluelessness.

I wasn't much of a smoker, ever. Maybe twenty cigs in my whole life, and most of them when I was in my late teens and early twenties.

I did use smokeless tobacco off and on for thirty years, however. I'm not proud of that and hope it won't kill me down the road. I have been tobacco free since 5/5/2013. I wasn't a heavy user but I was amazed at how much physical and mental discomfort I had after quitting cold turkey. I almost never think of it now, almost two years later, which is a great thing. I remember thinking I'd never be happy again if I couldn't take a pinch of Skoal on a long drive or while mowing the lawn and during other similar "trigger" activities.

The good news: my kids were too young to remember me using it - although I was a crafty sneak about it - and nowadays when they see people smoking, they always comment, like "EWWW! THAT GUY IS SMOKING!" and "That will make him die, right Daddy?" I didn't put that in their heads, so it must be what they're learning in school and among their friends.

Yeah, my brother is struggling with getting off smokeless tobacco. He's moved to "vaping" and has slowly been dialing back the amount of nicotine in his chosen variety.

edit: yes on the trees comment.
    Whoomah!

Random thanks for hipping me to the new lingo. Please give this link to your brother: www.killthecan.org. It helped me, and it might help him too. He can join a quit group and post his daily promise not to use nicotine. It sounds cheesy, I know, but when I was physically and mentally hurting, it was good to read posts from those suffering the same symptoms and from those who had done it before and lived to tell the tale. I don't post daily these days, but I happened to think of it today and posted Day 655 this morning.

Whoomah!

For me, it's definitely a time-and-place kind'a thing: do I have time to enjoy some scotch/whiskey/bourbon and not immediately drive/ride somewhere afterwards? Is there going to be good company? Can I smoke outdoors vs. inside of a cigar bar? Have I done anything noble/heinous this week to ruminate over?

In addition I always shower after smoking and before going to bed. Basically, if I didn't say anything about smoking cigars, nobody would know.