7 14.89%
  • Occasional social smoker

6 12.77%
  • Totally addicted

3 6.38%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    What does the family think? Well my parents stopped criticizing me about it a long time ago. I'm a 39-year-old man now, so they're not going say anything about it ever again. Wife is at that point now too. Kids don't seem to have an opinion yet. I sometimes wonder what they think of the stench that's become part of my bodily aura...to them I guess that's just the way dad smells.

That's certainly how my dad was to me, although it was mixed with almost constant alcohol smell as well. He's only in his 50s and he's already down one lung.

Pretty sad, huh? I envy those of you who never started in the first place. You're not missing out on ANYTHING special.

Any suggestions on how to kick the habit?

My grandfather on my mother's side, who was an amazing person, university graduate in nuclear physics, on the board of safety for Ontario Hydro, and a polymath who could do anything, quit smoking at around age 40, and died in his 50s with a cancerous hole in his throat. It's the hardest death I've ever had to deal with, seeing this giant of a man who meant so much to my life, who was like 6'4 and 300 lbs and in his prime, reduced to a 150 lb wheezing slab of meat.

Smoking and alcohol have taken a LOT of people from my life. The majority of my family on my mother's side used to smoke but quit in the last decade or so. My dad's side, every SINGLE one, were or are chain smokers and also alcoholics; growing up and living in the poorest areas of St. John NB, known as the "cancer capital of Canada", where work is scarce, no doubt has a lot to do with it. Not a single family member before me graduated high school, never mind college. Every single family member from his side has died of some form of respiratory cancer or drank themselves to death first. Not only is it the reason why I don't smoke, it's also the reason I barely drink--during college I started down that slippery slope, drinking and partying every night, and one morning when I woke up in the middle of CLASS not remembering how I got there. And I was so terrified I'd end up like yet another "Culbert from New Brunswick" that I stopped drinking entirely for a good year or so. Now I only drink occasionally.

The same goes for smoking, even though I've never done it, I'm terrified I'm still going to end up with cancer because of that family history, and second-hand from my father and their constant, smoke-filled basement parties growing up. So, I suppose if there's one thing I'd say to help you quit, it's to think of your kids, and realize that even when you do your BEST to keep it away from them, it's still there.

When we did our Maritimes trip last fall, we went out for dinner with some of my family in St. John, and afterward, they took me to visit my dad's uncle Ronnie... And it was one of the most painful, awkward and sad things I've ever done. He was maybe 65, I think? Looked like a withered old husk, yellow-stained leathery skin, could barely talk after multiple throat surgeries, had some sort of colostomy bag setup going on, tubes coming out of his ribcage, sitting in a recliner in his filthy apartment watching WWE Smackdown. So out of his mind from chemo and early-onset Alzheimer's, after a life of chain-smoking and drinking.

The first thing he asked me, as he feebly shook my hand, having not seen me since I was maybe 10 years old, was "want a smoke?"

He died five days later, right around the time I was standing on the peaks of Meat Cove staring out over the Atlantic Ocean, enjoying nature and life. It could not have painted a more appropriate picture.
    Last edited by tigeraid; February 20th, 2015 at 06:35 AM.

Sorry for your personal losses, Tiger. Why people get addicted to these things is beyond me. Human nature, I guess. I wish I never started smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Can you channel parental guilt?

As in, every minute you spend smoking, is a minute off the end of your life, that you won't be around for you kids.

I do think of my kids and how they would be impacted if something were to happen to me, but in the moment, the urge to light up is stronger. It's an internal mental battle, hard to explain.‎

It's just so deeply embedded in my daily routine, that it's difficult to shake. I have noticed that I smoke less on the weekends, as there's no set routine and it's pretty much anything goes for a couple of days. I suppose I need some sort of pattern interruption, to help break the habit. I will say that talking about it openly has kind of helped. I'm less eager to go buy another pack...but my will may weaken after I finish my last cigarette. Who knows.‎

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Sorry for your personal losses, Tiger. Why people get addicted to these things is beyond me. Human nature, I guess. I wish I never started smoking.

I do think of my kids and how they would be impacted if something were to happen to me, but in the moment, the urge to light up is stronger. It's an internal mental battle, hard to explain.‎

It's just so deeply embedded in my daily routine, that it's difficult to shake. I have noticed that I smoke less on the weekends, as there's no set routine and it's pretty much anything goes for a couple of days. I suppose I need some sort of pattern interruption, to help break the habit. I will say that talking about it openly has kind of helped. I'm less eager to go buy another pack...but my will may weaken after I finish my last cigarette. Who knows.‎
    Why not try e-cigarettes?

If I can kick my pack and half a day habit anybody can.

Don't mean to be morbid. I realize a lot of smokers are kind of helpless. Much like my struggle to lose weight, you think "shit, if I had no job, no friends, no chores and no life, I could probably focus on getting healthy."

It's all about priorities. And the thing to remember about quitting smoking, just like any addiction, is that you can only do it for yourself and not your spouse, kids, pet platypus. You also have to be in the right frame of mind to succeed.

This is going to sound harsh. But it comes down to one simple thing.

Making the decision to do it, and just doing it. Not looking back, but having complete control over it for the sake of saying "Fuck Off, I control my life."

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Why not try e-cigarettes?
    I have tried those in the past, and, (as of this conversation), am seriously considering them again. I didn't give vaping a proper shot last time, it only lasted a week. There's no 'kick' when you inhale, which was part of my reason to switch back to the real thing last time. Plus last time I was too focused on saving money. An e-cig from the gas station costs $10, which lasts three days or so. Given what I'm spending now, that's a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    Don't mean to be morbid. I realize a lot of smokers are kind of helpless. Much like my struggle to lose weight, you think "shit, if I had no job, no friends, no chores and no life, I could probably focus on getting healthy."
    You can make time for anything when it comes to improving your health, if you really want to. I've always had all the above and was still able to lose weight, (76 lbs in total), in 2003, and again in 2007.

Like Rich said...

Quote Originally Posted by speedpimp View Post
    It's all about priorities. And the thing to remember about quitting smoking, just like any addiction, is that you can only do it for yourself and not your spouse, kids, pet platypus. You also have to be in the right frame of mind to succeed.
    Yup. I'm at that mindset now, where I wasn't a week ago. I'm glad this topic was started. Just talking about it has created a bit of a shift in me. This is almost like a support group, whereas in real life I'm surrounded by people who...I don't wanna say don't give a shit, because I'm sure they do, but don't want to speak up because they might be afraid that it'll fall on deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    This is going to sound harsh. But it comes down to one simple thing.

Making the decision to do it, and just doing it. Not looking back, but having complete control over it for the sake of saying "Fuck Off, I control my life."
    Nah, not harsh at all. I read a book once called 'Easy Way To Stop Smoking' by Allen Carr, and I remember some of the nuggets of wisdom he dropped. Carr's a guy that smoke a hundred cigarettes a day, and hated every single one of them. I think he lived till the age of 70, when he was free of smoking, and trying to help others kick the habit. One of the things I remember is that you need to set a quit date. Not just quit right away because you're all proud in the moment and puffing your chest, but to really plan it out, and smoke whatever amount you smoke until that day arrives until you reach your last one. Enjoy that last one. Feel that pain in your throat, taste that foul taste, then feel a sense of relief when it's done. You're finally free.

I'll probably use e-cigarettes to ease the transition, then quit those too after a couple of months.

but to really plan it out, and smoke whatever amount you smoke until that day arrives until you reach your last one. Enjoy that last one. Feel that pain in your throat, taste that foul taste, then feel a sense of relief when it's done. You're finally free.
    Somewhere I read something by a motivational speaker type, and he had a thought process similar to but different than this. His thought was that if there was something you didn't want to do, but did want done, to make a plan do it in the future but deny yourself doing it until that date. Then, when the date for it to get done finally arrives you'll be anxious to get it done and stop thinking about it. I've applied that to a few things over the last couple years and it does help, often quite a bit. Tell yourself you're going to quit in April and smoke like a chimney until then. By the time April rolls around, you're going to want to quit.

I woke up on a Sunday morning and decided I was done with tobacco. I had long known I must quit "someday" and that was simply the day I chose.

I wouldn't consider myself any more well-disciplined than anyone else, but I knew right then I had really quit. I never once was tempted to go buy more after that moment. I flushed what I had left and threw away the can. About a week later, I found a partial can in a garage cabinet. I had always hid it from my wife and kids - she knew, of course, but I never used it around her, nor did I leave any evidence out in the open. I threw it away without a second's temptation.

After the decision was made that Sunday morning, all there was left was waiting for the physical and mental withdrawal symptoms to go away. That sucked, but they went away eventually. It's just a waiting game. Eventually, they go away completely and you'll go days without even thinking that you used to smoke. These days maybe once a month I'll be working in the garage or the yard and I'll think about how I used to enjoy it, but I'm not tempted. Most recently was this weekend while shoveling snow, but it's more of a mourning for a lost friend than an urge to use tobacco anymore - kind of like, "This snow-shoveling experience would be better with warmer gloves. But I don't have any out here right now, and I can finish up without going inside to get them." That's where I am going on two years later.

Sandy, you'll get all the support you can imagine from me if you want to make this your personal quitting thread. Or go find a website and post roll daily with other quitters. As I've mentioned here before, that helped me alot, especially when my mouth and tongue and jaw hurt so much a few days after quitting. I was sure I had cancer! Turns out, that happened to a lot of folks who quit smokeless tobacco. I don't know what happens to smokers, but I bet there's something like that - a really sore throat or something, and probably coughing up crud from your lungs, I'd guess - and it's good to read about other folks having the same troubles and those who have been there and beyond. Your body has to rid itself of toxins and your mind has to get used to not doing something it's so used to.

My recommendation is to skip the e-cigs and get some sugarless gum instead. The goal is to quit nicotine, not just switch delivery methods.

Respectfully submitted from a quitter who is only on day 659.