Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary moment

Scary moment

NOT ME I must stress, but rather scary nevertheless.

HOLY...

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    That's a brown pants moment.

That song is everywhere!

Clearly not his fault, but that driver should have been on the brakes eons earlier. It was clear that truck was going to run the stop. I guess the driver could have assumed he was going the other way, but when I see someone barreling towards a stop but showing no indicators of doing it, I'm off the gas immediately.

If I were driving, perhaps my peripheral vision could catch the fast moving truck, but 1st time seeing the video, I didn't quite see that truck coming at first until it was nearly in front! The snow falling on top of the windshield scared me more because I wasn't expecting to see that!

Anyway, if I were in his shoes, for sure I wouldn't brake hard like that... mainly because it's probably too late! I'd probably just try to steer myself off road onto the grass a bit and then brake test the son of a bitch.

Brakes and tyres work better on the road than wet grass.
    The video has a narrow field of view compared to the driver, but the truck could be seen for a while.

But this is fairly typical driving, most people don't look for threats till they are about to hit them.
    I wonder if they had headlights on, they do seem to help people notice you.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Clearly not his fault, but that driver should have been on the brakes eons earlier. It was clear that truck was going to run the stop. I guess the driver could have assumed he was going the other way, but when I see someone barreling towards a stop but showing no indicators of doing it, I'm off the gas immediately.
    I saw it coming, but then my perception was influenced by the title of the video. Might not have been anywhere near as obvious if I was there on the spot.

Was it a foreign plate per chance?

DN is spot on - most people aren't looking for things that might happen, they are only focused on things that are happening and that's just not a safe way to drive. You need to be looking at everything that is moving or capable of moving and determining where it's going and how that affects you. A truck moving that speed at an intersecting angle needs to be accounted for, and the driver with the cam did no such accounting. On a busy road there might be too many things to reasonably predict, but on a little-used rural road with excellent visibility, there really isn't any excuse.

Ass-hat truck driver. Mouth-breather in the other vehicle.