Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koenigsegg Regera

Koenigsegg Regera

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/koe...hp-in-its.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/koenigsegg/1541...500-bhp-hybrid

Koenigsegg is well known for its ‘more is better’ approach to power, but its new Regera hypercar is easily its most outlandish yet.

Over 1500 bhp and 2000 Nm of torque from a petrol and electric hybrid power train make the Regera the world’s most powerful production car by a significant margin.

The Regera features a twin-turbo 5-litre V8 that puts out 1084bhp and 1280 Nm of torque, this is then mated to not one, but three different electric drive units.

Engine

The first, a 160kW motor, is attached to the crank generating 300Nm. The two driven rear wheels then get one 180kw 260 Nm motor each. The combined result delivering that incredible 2000 Nm torque figure and 700Bhp on electric power alone. The crankshaft mounted electric motor acts as torque fill for the turbos, while the other two rear wheel mounted units provide drive.

Perhaps even more exciting though is exactly how Koenigsegg is delivering all that power to the wheels.

Gearbox

Developed specifically for the Regera is a new ‘Koenigsegg Direct Drive system’ which can send power to the rear wheels without the need for gears or traditional variable transmissions.

It lacks a step up or step down gear, instead transferring power instantly from the engine to the driven wheels. The system also allows the Regera to operate in a purely electric mode.

Koenigsegg is promising fairly extreme performance figures for the Regera, as you would expect. It manages 3.2 seconds between 150 to 250 Km/h, with a full 0-400 km/h sprint taking less than 20 seconds.

Battery

Developed in conjunction with Mate Rimac, well known for his work on electric supercars, is a new power pack for the Regera. Weighing in at 115Kg and storing 927 kWh of energy, the system is able to dump a full 500 kW of power during periods of heavy acceleration. Regenerative braking can then restore over 150 kW of power.

The rest of the Regera’s spec sheet reads just as extreme. It features a bespoke Akrapovic developed titanium ‘fish tail’ exhaust system, as well as a carbon-fibre aluminium honeycomb chassis.

Brakes

Brakes come in the form of 6-piston 397mm discs at the front, with 4-piston 380mm discs at the back. Both are ceramic and both use Koenigsegg developed callipers with ceramic pistons.

Keeping the phenomenal amount of power translated to the road is both an advanced traction control and stability control system featuring switchable modes. Drivers can change from track, to normal and all the way to wet for slippery conditions.

Active aerodynamics are put to use extensively throughout the Regera. The rear wing and front flaps can all change independently, but generate a combined 450Kg of downforce at 250km/h.

Tyres are bespoke Michelin Supersports. 275/35 19-inch offerings at the front and 345/30 20-inch at the back. These are sat on second generation Koenigsegg Aircore carbon fibre wheels.

Interior

Interestingly Koenigsegg has opted for a Apple CarPlay compatible touch screen mounted in portrait orientation in the centre console. A simple drive select lever sits in the centre.

Price and release date

All this technology and power and still the Koenigsegg manages an impressive 1628 Kg curb weight.

Full performance stats are still to be confirmed, as is pricing for the car. What we do know is that just 80 examples will be produced. The car is said to cost around $1.89 million

The crankshaft mounted electric motor acts as torque fill for the turbos...
    ...so the gas engine sends power directly to Electric Motor #1, that I get -- the part I don't get is how does that motor take that twist and add to it vs. simply using it to power itself (like a Volt)?

A pic of the layout:

K_R.jpg
    Last edited by novicius; March 3rd, 2015 at 06:55 AM.

Not sure I understand you. The 160kW motor on the crank is only used as torque fill, hence only 1500hp not 1800hp. When torque filling is complete, I think part of engine power (~68hp) is used to recharge battery using that spare e-motor as a generator. Brake re-gen is also used.

According to Top Gear's website the car will stage the electric motors: first the rear two (483hp) come on, then once the speed rises to double digits the torque converter starts to engage so the third electric motor on the crank can start to drive the rear wheels (and the engine) which is another 214 hp, then after 30 mph or so the engine kicks in finally.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Nm, Km/H, KW???? does not compute....I'm feeling sooo American right now

Very odd to talk about this layout in terms of both power output and speed. Also crazy to talk about 700hp of electric drive online before the ICE decides to play.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutton View Post
    Not sure I understand you. The 160kW motor on the crank is only used as torque fill, hence only 1500hp not 1800hp. When torque filling is complete, I think part of engine power (~68hp) is used to recharge battery using that spare e-motor as a generator.
    I understand that the E-Machine (crank) is providing a driving force through the motor -- what I don't get is how the limited powerband of the ICE is being implemented with that E-Machine connected on that crank. There has to be some extra element of slippage between the E-Machine on the crank and the crank itself, no?

The "Hydraulic coupling" (aka, monster clutch) happens after the area of my confusion.

::

How The 1,500 HP Koenigsegg Regera Hits 248 MPH Without A Gearbox

At speeds less than 30 MPH, the Regera will run on electric power alone. At speeds above 30 MPH, the internal combustion engine comes into play thanks to a hydraulic coupling that acts like a clutch, but only slips a tiny bit. Most of the time it is locked. This sounds similar in concept to a torque converter.

When you keep accelerating, the engine is locked into the geared rear-end and works with the electric power to accelerate to the Regera's 8,250 RPM redline, at which point it's doing 249 MPH.
    Ah, of course -- locked up, it's going to be a 1.00 "gear" ratio (like a typical top non-overdrive gear in a transmission) going through a 2.85 rear-end. The stratospheric RPM redline (for a "mass produced" 5.0L V8) also will add a ton of MPH to the top end. Got it!

Also-also, as a fan of torque converters, I love how this design keeps the "slush" but gets rid of the "box".
    Last edited by novicius; March 3rd, 2015 at 11:36 AM.

I think the "hydraulic coupling" can perhaps disconnect the whole system from the ICE? Then the 2 electric motors can just run by themselves.

Once connected, that hydraulic coupling probably also act as a differential... and the shafts on each side will turn the electric motors and then then wheel? For example, if both the ICE and the electric motor are turning at 1rpm, because they're now connected in series, the combined wheel rpm becomes 2!

Anyway, that's just my understanding...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 3rd, 2015 at 11:38 AM.

Yep, I get that E-Machine (crank) & the V8 are not engaged below 30 MPH, I just didn't get how the two worked connected to the same crankshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    I understand that the E-Machine (crank) is providing a driving force through the motor -- what I don't get is how the limited powerband of the ICE is being implemented with that E-Machine connected on that crank. There has to be some extra element of slippage between the E-Machine on the crank and the crank itself, no?
    There wouldn't need to be slippage. Nothing mechanical links an electric motor's armature to its can - it can either spin freely, generate electricity, or provide power simply based on what the electronics want it to.

In this system, you have an ICE that is in top gear all the time (via the diff). Since that would result in lethargic low-speed performance, they've implemented an electric motor ("E-machine") to provide that low-end grunt. When the ICE finally gets into its powerband, the electronics cut power to the crank E-machine and it's either spinning freely, or generating electricity for the batteries. It's a 1-speed conventional car with an electric motor to get it into its powerband, The hydraulic coupling really isn't a torque converter, it doesn't slush. There is no torque multiplication going on. I believe it's only purpose is to absorb shock. With a Prius you don't need that, but with, what, 800hp "suddenly" coming online, something has to ameliorate it. The effect of perpetual clutch drops wouldn't be good for anything.