Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The value of a good livery

This a good point and one that IMO is lost on a lot of the newer designs. Especially in lieu of these forsaken noses rolling out now. For instance take the new Macca. I find the front wing supports to be very ugly looking and I my gaze is instantly drawn to them. So I would have them (and a portion of the nose itself) painted black to mask out a sharp and aggressive pewter nose to draw the eye to... instead of it's protuberances. The Lotus nose is even more horrendous in my view but because it's not bright and shiny, you don't notice it as much. But hey, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    On the subject of retro, is there a special significance of (lack of) black wings on a Ferrari? Superstition? Ross Brawn forbade them and they started winning?
    Is this a joke (I can never tell with you and that's what I thought when I first read it) or do you mean just in the last 10 years or so? Because there have been plenty with black wings. In the 80's and 90's it was practically de rigueur for Ferrari. I know my second fave (and arguably the most beautiful of the modern era) F1 car of all time, the F640, has completely black wings. If it's just lately to which you refer, then I have no idea if there is a reason behind it.
    Last edited by Reynard; January 24th, 2014 at 04:31 PM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Yes, I mean in the last era. Don't get me wrong, I love black wings on Ferraris (and the tricolore on the airbox, too), it looks mean and cool, specially on the turbo beasts of the eighties, but recently it is absent. I think they only had *some* black in the Giani Agnelli model (2003?). That's why I ask if there's a reason for their disappearance.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; January 24th, 2014 at 05:07 PM.
    acket.

Wanna Fight?
    The last time I read the phrase "black wings" it was a 60's biker euphemism.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    That settles it, the problem with todays vehicles are the shit liveries.

Faulty: Marlboro came on as "primary sponsor" in 1997, that's why the McLarens changed to West then, why the shade of Ferrari red got a bit lighter, and why the wings no longer have black.

Also totally agreed on that point of "livery has to match the shape". Most of the cars from the last 20 years (remember, it's 2014, 1994 was 20 years ago!!) look alright, but anything past then is hit and miss. I know fans online were slobbering about these designs on other places and message boards, but it really, REALLY depends on the era and how suitable it is for the current shape.

That's bitchin'

God. Please. Stop. No. Just. Ugh.

I didn't even click the link, I saw a hint of one online, I just despise the very idea because I guarantee it's not going to be done in a proper way. The way to do it would be making a "throwback" look, but that would take more effort than the McLaren there shows. Ugh. Garbage.

Need WRC version plz kthxbai