Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock Band 4

Administrator

Rock Band 4

Surprised to see that we have no GH/RB thread, so starting up a new one.

Harmonix had been making little rumblings about the return of the series, but now it's official, RB4 is coming to XBox One and PS4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...4-and-xbox-one

From what I gather, they plan to have existing controllers work with the new one (which I imagine will be easier on the XBox with wired ones, the PS3 used a USB dongle so that should just port over). Pro mode for Guitar and Bass and the keyboard are out, but Pro Drums will remain (keeping fingers crossed that the wired MIDI adapter will continue to work so I can use my actual drum kit).

They're saying that the plan is to try to focus on the three things they think made the series successful: The competitive angle for the hardcore players (I'm assuming improved leaderboards and incentives for competing on those leaderboards), the party angle for players who just want to get together, get drunk, and make noise (so presumably no-fail modes and the like, things that don't punish you for not being perfect), and the campaign mode (which surprises me, I've always considered that part superfluous, but my wife I think really enjoyed that part of the game and seemed to miss it in RB3).

They're also saying that they plan to make all your old DLC still work, though that's obviously subject to licensing. I'm hearing they expect about 95% of it to carry over. On the downside, it does sound like they don't expect it to all be available at game launch but added in as they get the licensing sorted.

I am very, very excited about this.

I'm really tempted to grab the guitar bundle. I've never owned a rhythm game with peripheral, even though I've played some of the Guitar Hero games a decent amount. I'm pretty excited about all this

Junior Potato
    All of this for me will hinge on whether DLC songs can be transferred from PS to XB or vice versa. I have RB on the Xbox, but I now own a PS4.

I don't think the DLC will cross over brands.
    PS3 to ps4 definitely, but that is just within the Sony store.

Administrator
    Yep, what Dicknose said. There's no way that Sony and Microsoft will agree on this one, they want things sold through their own respective stores. Same deal with Steam. It's frustrating for me since I'd rather be playing Rocksmith on my PC, but all my DLC is tied up on the 360.

Junior Potato
    I fired up RB2 for old times sake on the X360.

Scrolled down to Rush. Found Closer To The Heart. Lived out all my fantasies.

I guess I'm buying an XBone in the near future. The series is too good to miss out on.

You have a PS4, RWA, yeah? No need to buy an X1.

Junior Potato
    It's about my peripherals and DLC, which are all Xbox.

Administrator
    Yep, the news got me to take out the drum kit and Michele to bust out the plastic Strat and we jammed through about two hours of songs.

I cannot wait for the new one.

Administrator
    Just filled out a new survey from Harmonix that specifically asked about ownership of MIDI controllers for drums. Gives me hope.