Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Godson -- 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera

Prices seem to be creeping up over here, perhaps nudged up by the influence of all the other 911s rocketing in value. Good time to buy, I think

Looks good, too (although needs better pics).

First batch of parts ordered. Couple of things.

I noticed the RMS seal has been leaking for some time when I tossed it on a lift today for my state inspection. Ordered one of those.
    Also noticed what appears to be my Air/Oil separator causing a leak as well. Ordered one of those.
    To replace AOS, you gotta pull the intake manifold, so I ordered all new gaskets for the upper and lower plenums.
    And lastly, I ordered the IMS Guardian. Which was by far the most expensive thing on the list.

As money gets in, I'll order the LN engineering IMS bearing. I'd rather just do the Pelican parts bearing and replace it every 40k miles, but I need to do more research. Ball bearings will always eventually fail, I just need to figure out if the 800$ option is worth it over the 140$ one.

Now, onto pics from the dealers ad.
    IMG_0854.jpgIMG_0856.jpgIMG_0865.jpgIMG_0870.jpgIMG_0876.jpgIMG_0881.jpgIMG_0885.jpgIMG_0888.jpgIMG_0891.jpgIMG_0898.jpgIMG_0904.jpgIMG_0905.jpgIMG_0930.jpgIMG_0944.jpgIMG_0957.jpgIMG_0960.jpgIMG_0977.jpegIMG_0980.jpgIMG_0982.jpgIMG_0996.jpgIMG_1005.jpgIMG_1009.jpgIMG_1011.jpgIMG_1025.jpgIMG_1027.jpg

Build codes explained:

220 - 40% locking differential
    222 - Traction control (kind of silly, car has shit tons of traction)
    224 - Automatic LSD
    234 - Tire information r/t factory build setup
    408 - 18" 993 Turbo Technology hollow spoke wheels (not a common option, and the wheels are the true hollo spokes)
    424 - CD compartment (just a CD holder, won't be useful in a littlebit...)
    437 - 8 way power seat, left
    438 - 8 way power seat, right
    446 - Wheel caps with colored Porsche crest (yawn)
    490 - sound system (sounds like shit)
    537 - memory seat, left (yawn)
    688 - CD-radio Porsche/Becker CDR-210 USA (did I mention it sounds like shit?)

Soon to happen plans are to move the HVAC system to the lower compartment in preparation for the double din stereo system I want to put in it. As previously mentioned, car has H&R wheel spacers, B&M short shifter, and H&R lowering springs. Ill know more this weekend when I start wrenching on it.

Somewhat funny, when I mentioned to my coworker you bought a '99 911 he said "Hope he bought an RMS, IMS, and separator with it.: ROFL.

Pretty much true.

I'd be interested to see if the toyobaru cars have similar issues with RMS.

The IMS retrofit kit seems to be the best current option, but at 800$ and still estimated life of 50-80k miles, I could put a lot more of the cheaper bearing in its place and save bank. The question is, is the risk work it...

If you're gonna be putting miles on the car year round, I'd think that the $650 difference would buy some added peace of mind, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Pretty much true.

I'd be interested to see if the toyobaru cars have similar issues with RMS.

The IMS retrofit kit seems to be the best current option, but at 800$ and still estimated life of 50-80k miles, I could put a lot more of the cheaper bearing in its place and save bank. The question is, is the risk work it...
    My coworker guy has been waffling about a 996 for five years, and every day he comes by my desk to share his latest discoveries about the joys and trials of 996 ownership. It's his BIL that has one for sale - and I think the reason he wasn't interested in it himself is that he wants a C4S. But, my understanding is the 996's needs are all design flaws. RMS, IMS, and separator are underengineered and that's why they fail. No idea what I'm talking about, it's just what I've gathered from his ramblings. He is on rennlist an hour or two a day, and I think he likes the RN Engineering repair but that could have changed. His BIL suggests that keeping on top of the separator (so it doesn't get clogged) and frequent oil changes will save the IMS indefinitely. He has no actual knowledge, but OTOH he does these things and his hasn't failed. It's not like all of them fail, so clearly there is an unquantified variable.

That is lovely. Very lovely. Hugely jealous, also.

Quote Originally Posted by M4FFU View Post
    That is lovely. Very lovely. Hugely jealous, also.
    Yes, if I didn't convey that adequately enough, fantastic find & achievement Tyler!

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    #moneyshotzz

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    My coworker guy has been waffling about a 996 for five years, and every day he comes by my desk to share his latest discoveries about the joys and trials of 996 ownership. It's his BIL that has one for sale - and I think the reason he wasn't interested in it himself is that he wants a C4S. But, my understanding is the 996's needs are all design flaws. RMS, IMS, and separator are underengineered and that's why they fail. No idea what I'm talking about, it's just what I've gathered from his ramblings. He is on rennlist an hour or two a day, and I think he likes the RN Engineering repair but that could have changed. His BIL suggests that keeping on top of the separator (so it doesn't get clogged) and frequent oil changes will save the IMS indefinitely. He has no actual knowledge, but OTOH he does these things and his hasn't failed. It's not like all of them fail, so clearly there is an unquantified variable.
    Yeah. Most prominent theory is to replace RMS, IMSB every 40k or so. AOS seems to be variable, but you can at least test it to see if it is failing or not without reading into it (using a water manometer on the oil fill tube).

On the IMSB you can use the IMS guardian and try to predict the possible failure. But in my thoughts, if the metal is in the pan, it is everywhere else.

First batch of parts arrived today. I got everything I needed to do the air/oil separator except the throttle body gasket...

Not Happy with myself.