Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Godson -- 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera

hmm...a 996, neat...

Fine, fine automobile my friend!

I hope you remain a Porsche owner, instead of turning into a FUCKING PORSCHE REPAIR BILL PARTS COST PORSCHE owner.

Note to self: Tyler is a young man and helpless against his own impulses.

Looks good, tho'! I hope you don't have to change anything about it 'cept for oil, gas, brakes & tires.

When I was shopping for my first car, I used to go to this weirdo public auto auction down in Salida, which is more or less in the middle of nowhere. They always had some unexpected cars for being Central CA, and one time they had an '83 911SC. Because it was an auto auction in Central CA, everything was wide open and all you had to do was wave and some dude would show up with a booster pack and the keys and you could start it and inch it forwards and backwards. It wasn't much, but it was the first time I drove a Porsche. I was sure I was going to go back & bid on it that weekend, but at work the following day while I told everyone who would listen I was going to try and buy a Porsche, I was taken aside by the company attorney. He told me all about his 911 and what a wonderful combination of death trap and money pit it was, and he was never happier than when he sold it. He then tossed me the keys to his 560SL and said "Drive a Mercedes, especially an SL, and you will never want another car." Of course I went and drove the Benz, but Milt was nuts. I still want the Porsche.

The only problem I see here is that this is most likely a daily driver; scary to be racking up that much time and mileage on a Porsche, IMO.

Should'a sold the high mileage Ducati for this and kept the Yukon instead... but hey, not too late to sell the Duc and buy a daily driver shitbox! #goodluck #livingthedream

There are several others who are dding these things. Several over 200k miles. One sold recently with 360k miles.

If shit breaks, I have money in the bank for a beater. I'd rather not own a beater if I dont need to.

One of the partners here had a mid-year 996 that he daily drove. IIRC it was around 140k when he sold it. No point in asking what it cost him to keep running, because he wouldn't know. Like they say, money ain't a thing with him. He just bought a Quattroporte, which quite seriously is the most sensible car he's owned in ten years. Heh.

Nice!

it's a 996, should be cheap enough to replace if it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikadyn View Post
    it's a 996, should be cheap enough to replace if it breaks.
    Sad but true