Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan will build small RWD car based on IDx Concept

Not necessarily. The Z has been sharing a luxury car platform since the 350Z.

While the 400 hp Q50 Red Sport 400 starts at $51k, the 300 hp Q50 Sport starts at $40k. The dynamic suspension is part of a $1500 package with "sport brakes" and paddle shifters (though in typical Japanese car fashion they force you to get another $2500 package in addition to it). There's a $4k difference between the Q50 Sport and the Red Sport when the Sport is given the packages that the Red had standard. I doubt that the Red Sport has anything more than a slightly larger intercooler and slightly larger turbos. That's maybe a $5-600 parts price increase for an OEM. The rest of that 4k price increase is sweet, sweet profit.

Of course, that's going from smaller twin turbos to bigger ones. Ford charges an extra $1000 to go from a 3.3L V6 to a 2.7 twin turbo V6 in the F-150. AFIAK, the 2.7 is using the same K03s as the 3.5 F-150 Ecoboost. Nissan will still need to do model specific durability testing and suspension tuning, but a lot of the difficult work is already done.

Interior wise, Nissan doesn't need to go full on luxury car. They just need to step up to what Mazda's doing on their Grand Touring package cars. If Mazda can do it, Nissan can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    While the 400 hp Q50 Red Sport 400 starts at $51k, the 300 hp Q50 Sport starts at $40k.
    The Z makes 332 HP right now @ $30K.

So yeah, it sounds like 400 HP @ $50K would be the result -- in the face of that, I still agree with the plan to just keep making small batches of the current car for years.

I guess $1500 in already-developed parts could add $20,000 to the price. If it becomes an Infiniti loaded with almost every nonessential luxury car option.

If Mazda can develop a RWD platform from the ground up with a carryover engine for $25k, Nissan could make a $35k 400+ hp Z from existing parts. They just don't care enough to do it.

Yes, that exactly -- they could do it but IMO they won't. Time will tell.

Here's another leak for a Nissan sports car that will totally be built.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nis...-up-to-475bhp/

Seems like it might be more clickbaity than leaky. They cite a source, and the initial powerplant seems obvious, but a near 500hp AWD version? They kind of already made that under a different name...

To be fair, the GTR is due for an update, too. Maybe they're all just going on the same platform to make the development cost make sense.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I think the future is not looking bright for Groupe Renault after the arrest of Ghosn.
    acket.

The new Z prototype will be revealed on September 15th. Rumors are that it will be called the 400Z, and make 400 hp from a twin-turbo 3 liter V6.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-release-date/
    Get that weak shit off my track

I find that to be disappointing. HP does not mean everything and I would much rather have them build a great looking lightweight car with a NA engine making like 250-280HP.

With 400HP it just means it is going to be heavy and like 50k.