Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan will build small RWD car based on IDx Concept

Pretty much my point -- if one was in the market for a sporty daily driver with automated shifting, Nissan's Xtronic CVT should be fine.

Unless the benefit to the buyer of a manual is less the performance, and more the sensation of a mechanical connection and increased involvement. Which I think it is, and has been for most "I'll buy manual" drivers.

If it doesn't have a manual transmission, it's a Garage car, not an Open Road car. At least for me.

Edit: just noticed that you specified automatic shifting, my bad
    Last edited by Kchrpm; March 13th, 2014 at 09:30 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

That statement doesn't match my criteria for "fine".

Oops, my brain skipped over the "automatic shifting" caveat in your sentence, I apologize.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yeah, I'm one guy who doesn't want his "fun car" with automatic shifting, period.

I will keep rolling in my two-ton "pony car" - more like a Clydesdale - but still rowin' my own.

My 2c

Personally I won't own an auto car for anything other than commuting in traffic. They just do anything for me, and as I live close to some fun roads to drive, and that I race cars in the weekends, I have plenty of chances to go play in cars

I'm onboard with that. I'm fine driving the Benz and XJR around, but I am simply much happier shifting. If I had to have only one car, I'd take a crap car with a manual over a nice car with an automatic.

Of course, maybe we'll all end up driving cars with no transmission. Wouldn't that be interesting... After driving nothing the Fiat for almost three months, the girl commented "I forget most cars have to shift. It feels weird." Heh.

Something with a 2-speed Powerglide would feel similar...
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Fair enough, Tyler. Now we see where each of us (Greg included) is coming from. On that list you mentioned:

rx8 - No new ones
    s2000 - No new ones
    350z, 370z - Different type of car
    cayman - Different type/price of car, unless you buy used
    c5zo6 - Totally different car and price, no new ones
    To be fair if I was in any other country I would have bought a cayman s but when a brand new 86 with all the options was AUD35k and a 7 year old Cayman S was AUD80k it was difficult to justify. Interestingly, in aus used caymans have dropped massively in price since the 86 has been released and Nissan knocked ~20% off the price of 370Z's. The relative cheapness of the 86 in australia has had a big impact on sales of a lot of other cars.

I was on board with the Cayman until the whole IMS bearing issue turned out to affect cars up to 2008. The 2009+ ones were just too much, and I wasn't going to spend $35k on a car that had a reasonable chance of needing a $20k engine rebuild.