Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan will build small RWD car based on IDx Concept

Hey, I would be glad to be wrong and have the BFRR-ZS's stick around on this platform for the next 15 years, that would be sweet.

Now let's see if it happens. #pessimist

15 years? It's possible, I suppose, after all, isn't the Elise S2 essentially a slightly modified S1 platform?

I hadnt realised, but yes apparently both S1 and S2 Elise have the same wheelbase, apparently the sills are 4cm lower to help access, but otherwise its basically the same.

The last MR2 (MRS) ran for eight years, with a tiny facelift halfway. I think a 4+4 cycle is pretty standard. Also, the lack of direct rivals means that its easier to keep a car on sale without major overhauls.

So considering all the precedents, perhaps we should expect a facelift of some kind in 2016, and production to run until about 2020.

YW - think you can get a test drive in an FD? They are very easy to fall for, once you have a drive on a decent road - just so eagerly responsive to steering, throttle and brakes. Only the cost of maintenance really counts against them.

I probably could, but the problems include driving to a decent road, the interior, and ongoing expenses (parking etc.). The reality is that I'd never buy one unless I struck the lottery.

Current scuttle butt is that the retro look is being dropped, but production still isn't a lock.

Was reading an old article on the concepts at Car & Driver, the last line was new information to me.

If Nissan really wants to peddle something excellent, it will hawk the IDx in a whole mess of body styles that parallel the 510’s, which was available not only as a coupe, but also as a sedan and a wagon.
    Would that work nowadays? Is there a market for a "tiny" RWD wagon amongst more than enthusiasts?

A couple weeks ago, I would have said no - but over the past week or so I've had two combinations with young-ish people in the market for a new car and one of them said "I really want a hatchback" and the other said "We are going to get a small SUV but we wanted a wagon." Both times, my eyes nearly popped out of my head. I think people are coming [back] around to these functional body designs. I sure hope so!

(And I hope one of those IDx body designs includes an El Zedmino. )

I guess I just don't understand how to convince that person they want an IDx wagon and not a Pulsar (as an example). I wish that I did.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Was reading an old article on the concepts at Car & Driver, the last line was new information to me.

Would that work nowadays? Is there a market for a "tiny" RWD wagon amongst more than enthusiasts?
    1-series in Yerp was a small wagon/5-door.
    Whoomah!

Well, it was, until it was replaced with a blown-up MINI platform.