Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan will build small RWD car based on IDx Concept

Some things in that which caught my eye:

it would mount instead a 1.6 liter four cylinder, something the designer mentions during his ride with Leno. What he does not mention, however, is Nissan’s stated choice of transmissions for the car, their variable ratio automatic.
    I think this is a fair move. Nothing precludes a Nismo or GTR or whatever evolution of the car, so bringing it out in the form that is likely to sell the most cars seems wise. Hyundai couldn't keep non-turbo Velosters on the lot for two years, and if this IDx can slot in with cars like the Fiesta, Nissan may claim some customers. It's been a long time since they have had any truly desirable small car... I gotta think that was the Sentra SE-R. Although not the big block powerhouse the SE-R was, maybe this is the starting point. I'm down with that.

Then again, the BRZ/FR-S is not selling in the numbers they expected because Toyota and Subaru decided they knew better than us about what people wanted
    I don't understand this comment. What didn't they do that they should have? (I know what my answer is, but I wonder what his is...)

Dodge horribly botched the debut of the new Dart by failing to bring enough automatic transmissions to market.
    I think this is more complex than alluded to. My understanding is that Chrysler was positioning the Dart as a sporty car, and it actually failed to deliver. The reason they ended up short on automatics is because they couldn't convince enthusiasts to buy it. Every article I've read about it says it's very nice from a touch & feel perspective, but isn't actually very good to drive. It ends up appealing more to people who have given up on life than people who want to love their commute.

Anyway, while I'd love an IDx in the vein of a Fiesta ST, I think building a car in the vein of the Fiesta is the right financial move.

Also, perhaps oddly, what I found really appealing in that Jay Leno video is the car's greenhouse. It looks like an awesome place to be!

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    The one point made about Jay Leno not discussing handling/driving dynamics....it's a concept car, we're lucky it drives at all!
    Totally agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Kreutzer
    I believe the BRZ/FR-S is not selling in the numbers they expected because Toyota and Subaru decided they knew better than us about what people really wanted in a small sporty coupe.

Do people still feel that if the FRS/BRZ had more horsepower, it would sell in greater numbers?

There was just a piece on TTAC or autoblog about trying to buy a BR-S86Z-GT. The author made the point that maybe those cars would sell more if their respective dealers made the slightest effort to, you know, actually sell them. Heh.
    Whoomah!

Yep, I read that article -- dealer ignorance or using the FRS/BRZ to help sell potential customers in to tC/Imprezas, that sort of logic I can understand.

But the price premium 100+ HP would add to the sticker would not (IMHO) sell more cars.

::

Re: IDx, I think that 99% of the potential buyers cannot discern the difference between a slushbox and a CVT. If the CVT is programmed sporty enough, people won't care and the car will sell. Past sporty coupe sales performance suggests that if it either gets super-shitty gas mileage or starts at $29k+ USD, these will be greater factors in its sales performance than if it does or doesn't have a clutch pedal.

I've had a few people go on to me about the power thing recently saying that if had the same power as something like the megane or the 370Z they would have sold much more in aus. They don't seem to comprehend my counterpoint that the twins are currently outselling those cars at a ratio of about 20:1. Then I get the 'it should have been like the S15' which ignores the fact last year they sold four times the twins than the best sales year the S15 ever had. Hell, in aus the twins outsell mainstream cars like the mazda6 and the entire volvo brand.

Yes, if they kept the handling, reliability and price the same while adding 100hp it would sell more. But you can't. (unless we're talking europe where they have horribly overpriced them)

edit

lol, posted that before novi's last reply, apparently we think along remarkably similar lines

Going just from my test drives, I think the FR-S/BRZ would be better served by better low to midrange output for day to day driving. When I was driving one around a tight little autocross, and through a parking lot, it's great fun. When you're doddling around in traffic on normal surface streets and highways, it's a bit of a chore. Which is perfectly fine for the people who are swung pretty far on the enthusiast side, ready and willing to search out fun roads in their free time purely to justify their $400/month. A large chunk of people want to just make their normal routine more fun, and have additional fun be an option, not a requirement, for justifying the cost.

Merely the viewpoint of someone who was very ready to pull the trigger and ended up spending similar money on something else.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    No-one cares what you think.
    I've heard that a time or two....

Which is why I choose hooliganism. I MAKE them care

And the greenhouse on this thing is unreal. God I hope they make that. I'd take this over a 4wd in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Godson; March 10th, 2014 at 11:11 AM.

A turbo bumps up the base MSRP by $4k, minimum. Puts the base price range of both coupes over $30k USD.

It might be faster but it'd definitely be much more expensive than a base Mustang V6/M6 for $22k USD. Pretty much entirely out of the "Sport Economy" conversation altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Going just from my test drives, I think the FR-S/BRZ would be better served by better low to midrange output for day to day driving. When I was driving one around a tight little autocross, and through a parking lot, it's great fun. When you're doddling around in traffic on normal surface streets and highways, it's a bit of a chore. Which is perfectly fine for the people who are swung pretty far on the enthusiast side, ready and willing to search out fun roads in their free time purely to justify their $400/month. A large chunk of people want to just make their normal routine more fun, and have additional fun be an option, not a requirement, for justifying the cost.

Merely the viewpoint of someone who was very ready to pull the trigger and ended up spending similar money on something else.
    That was my position on the car as well. I get it, I understand it, it just does nothing for me 90% of the time. I can see how the remaining 10% would be magic, but a car payment for 10% of my driving time is not good math. So, yeah, a power deficit for its price is what I think is wrong with the car, but I'm curious if that's what Mr. Kreutzer was referring to. Maybe since we all got there is it.