Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smart TV won't read files from a particular USB drive.

Likely the USB port doesn't put out enough power to run the old one. You're lucky didn't toast the drive trying!

Not sure. I'm thinking it's a software problem now. Both drives work intermittently. Seems to be the secret sauce is this:

1. Turn on TV with drive plugged in already.
    2. Wait for TV to say it can't find OTA signals and enter endless loop of reboots (it only does this with a drive connected from start-up).
    3. Unplug drive.
    4. Force turn-off TV.
    5. Turn on TV.
    6. Plug in drive.

I should try a firmware update on the TV. I've also ordered a flash drive strictly for TV use, which I'm hoping will work more consistently than a mechanical drive.

My money is still on current - and it could be just a matter of inrush current rather than continual draw. A flash drive should totally solve the issue.

Except I totally forgot a flash drive is FAT32, so large files (Monaco*cough*) don't fit.

NTFS makes for non-use with any Mac, in my experience.

Surely there's an easy solution I'm overlooking in my perpetually jet-lagged state.

Buy a new TV and flash drive!

Or stream it to your TV using the video out from a notebook.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    Except I totally forgot a flash drive is FAT32, so large files (Monaco*cough*) don't fit.

NTFS makes for non-use with any Mac, in my experience.

Surely there's an easy solution I'm overlooking in my perpetually jet-lagged state.
    No, there's not.

Macs will read NTFS but can't write it.

The TV crashes when trying to read the new USB flash drive, so there went that idea.

Can't find any way to update the TV via the internet or menus, so Vizio support will be my next step whenever I get a chance.