Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The RV/Camping/Trailer Thread!

So what're your specs for a wee trailer? Retro? Modern? Cheap?
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    So today I picked up an '03 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 V8 with 140,411 miles for $4800. One owner who has been very diligent in his upkeep and repairs, and has a manila folder an inch thick with all sorts of dealership receipts. He bought the rig new for $36k in 2003 -- and probably spent another $36k in service.
    Sounds like a win to me!

Yep, the VIN indicates that I've got a workhorse Romeo 4.6L with (probably) 2001-2004 1L2E/2L2E Romeo PI Heads (rated at 239 hp and 282 lb·ft)-- but I did not know it has an all-aluminum heads & block, so that's cool. Also, I'm not entirely certain they have a better ride than a semi-modern Tahoe -- both Ford examples I've been in ('05 Mountaineer & this '03 Explorer) have 5 blown shocks each (the 5th shock is apparently attached to the axle & frame) so it's a bit of a wallowy wash at this point. New shocks and a brake job are the most pressing need on this truck right now.
    Over ideal pavement ride will be similar, but on anything worse and especially with people in it the IRS really shines. Don't get me wrong, GM did great things with the solid axle over time, but the IRS is, IMHO, a great addition for a family-oriented SUV. I guess the downside, though, is more moving parts that need to be kept up. Meh - it's worth it when driving like an ass.

I do have access to an '05 Mountaineer -- and it seems to have quite a bit more pep than mine does. I wonder why? Does the Mountaineer's viscous coupling AWD offer less drag than the ControlTrac 4WD system the Explorer came with?
    I can't see how... the same number of parts are ultimately in motion. Maybe yours just needs a tune up? Or a supercharger. Perhaps since the Mountaineer lacks a 2-speed transfer case, Ford gave it compromised mid-range gear ratios? I have no recollection of ever driving a V8 AWD Mountaineer, but I don't have a distinct recollection of the Aviator performing tangibly differently than the Explorer. :shrug: But, really, supercharge it.

Man, this:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/4352604328.html

and a new Suburban would be a nice setup. I'm actually kind of tempted to just go down there in the '84 and tow it back, just to have. Like, really tempted. It just seems like it's too good to be true.

Prolly a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    So what're your specs for a wee trailer? Retro? Modern? Cheap?
    Yes.

13'-17' aluminium or vinyl-sided travel trailer that sleeps 2-6 and has a galley & a potty. One that has been updated already or only needs fabrics (nothing in need of a full resto yet).

Like this: http://mankato.craigslist.org/rvs/4329473148.html

Stylistically outdated but clean and where everything still works.
    Last edited by novicius; February 28th, 2014 at 05:22 AM.

Looks like it was also posted on Craigslist in Philadelphia, but it's no longer up.

http://for-sale.yakaz.com/airstream-...0amgi0id0je5ai
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I can't see how... the same number of parts are ultimately in motion. Maybe yours just needs a tune up? Or a supercharger. Perhaps since the Mountaineer lacks a 2-speed transfer case, Ford gave it compromised mid-range gear ratios? I have no recollection of ever driving a V8 AWD Mountaineer, but I don't have a distinct recollection of the Aviator performing tangibly differently than the Explorer. :shrug: But, really, supercharge it.

This ain't the Thrillmachine in my stable, the Triumph is.

Oh wait, I got that wrong -- it is an XLT. #nothingtoseehere
    Last edited by novicius; February 28th, 2014 at 06:52 AM.

In Denver, just for comparison...

1984 Pace Arrow Motorhome - $3500

title in hand with 39,872 Miles on it

asking $3,500 O.B.O

has been parked for some time so it will probably be towed out.

needs to be remodeled since its very outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    In Denver, just for comparison...
    I've been wrestling with the prospect of an out-of-state rig. Since I don't plan on keeping this thing, I really don't want to put any effort into it, and that includes dealing with a smog hassle. Buying in state minimizes those chance, and in an ideal world (which would be buy August, sell September) I wouldn't have to even once. There are some nice rigs up in Oregon and it'd be a fun drive bringing it home, but because I don't know what I'm doing and don't want a money pit, I am trying to restrict purchases to California. :/

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post

This ain't the Thrillmachine in my stable, the Triumph is.
    It's not about thrills, it's about safety. If you end up getting chased, or need to jump a river when the bridge washes out, or the sickest burnout ever is all the stands between you and DEATH, you're going to want the comfort and security that comes with forced induction.