Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: The RV/Camping/Trailer Thread!

That, my friend, is super cool.

So the only reason that short RV has dual axles is for a higher tow rating?
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

I don't think the relationship is that direct - the chassis that have high tow ratings happen to be diesel pushers, and many of the common DP platforms have dual axles. There is no particular reason that rig has dual axles other than that's the platform it's built on. It's a very weird configuration - such a heavy-duty chassis with a short wheelbase, no slides, and dual axles. I can't imagine what series of events unfolded to cause them to build it.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/rvs/5406283886.html

4-sp manual! Get your clutch leg trained up.
    They kept the stock slanty windows.

Again with the split bed in the back, though.
    Whoomah!

http://yubasutter.craigslist.org/rvs/5356224815.html

If you're looking for something to convert...

I drove a similar bus for UC Davis for several years; great buses.
    Whoomah!

Trying for a Bonneville record of 140mph. Haha!
    Whoomah!

That seems like exactly the right thing to do with one of those! It makes my heart sing!

Been working pretty hard lately on shoring up my rig... I really enjoy it, such a cool mix of car and house. I don't think I'd go for any land speed records, but I keep inching closer to boondocking optimization.

My wife and I continue to go back and forth on whether a motorhome or a tow vehicle + trailer are the way to go. With the trailer, we'd likely have to wait until she buys a replacement for her 1999 Dodge Durango. While it can tow 5,000 lbs with the tow package (which I doubt it has, but there's nothing there that can't be retrofitted to it), it has 230,000 miles on it, with the original engine and transmission. An impressive showing, I think; she's owned it since new.

I'd lean more toward the motorhome so she could have more flexibility with what she daily drives, but she really prefers traditional SUVs to cars or crossovers, and would consider a pickup truck as well. While I'd love to see her get a full-size pickup, she finds them (and Suburbans) just a bit too big; I think she'd be most comfortable in a new Durango, JGC, Tahoe/Yukon, 4Runner, Tacoma, or Colorado/Canyon. The 2.8L Duramax Colorado/Canyon is really appealing - you can get it loaded but with fabric seats (she doesn't care for leather), gets 30 mpg on the freeway, is narrower and shorter in length than a full-size, and tows 7,600 lbs.

On the other hand, a motorhome means an extra set of old mechanicals, which can be expensive to work on and expensive to tow. New and newish trailers are cheap, too.

It's definitely a tough decision. I had some doubts I made the right one, however a good friend of mine dumped his Tacoma & nearly new 21' travel trailer for a '96 Bounder after spending some time with us so that's reassuring. They - like us - like having the massive cabin room while traveling, and saving 5-10' of length helps get around campgrounds and such. The added old mechanicals are somewhat of a concern, but even old motorhomes tend to have low mileage. Usually the house gives out before the engine or transmission. A motorhome will typically offer more storage, more plumbing capacity, and more sleeping room than a travel trailer. My aforementioned friend saved 5' (39' -> 34') and went from a packed truck & trailer to excess room. The trailer is nice because when you aren't using it it's 10' shorter than the motorhome you aren't using, and it'll be nicer inside at the same price point. If I had to do it over again, I'd do exactly the same thing - one twenty year old $7500 motorhome.

Just thought I would plop this here:

http://www.countryliving.com/life/tr...can-road-trip/

It's about $6,000 in gas in a motorhome, but quite possibly totally worth it.