Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Neverwinter

Leon, this is an *old* PC game. Debuted at E3 2011 and launched on PC back in 2013, so you don't necessarily have to buy a new console to play. The benefit of that is that there is a LOT of info out there on Neverwinter.

Also note that this is a "Free2Play" game, which means that microtransactions rule the roost. I'm having decent fun playing the free game but my gear mods are pretty limited at this point (due entirely to being a low level and not grinding). I haven't dived into Crafting yet either but based on the number of components I'm carrying, it looks pretty deep -- the only thing is that I don't know how much freeplay grinding will be required. I'm guessing a lot (read: 12+ months)... but this isn't a bad thing -- that's a great ROI.

Here's a screenshot of the in-game currency, Zen.

You just know there are people out there who've dropped over $1,000+ USD on this game. #walletwarriors #ruiningdevsforeveryone

Also, I've read that you only get 2 character slots to begin with. Plan accordingly.

Re: the action, Phil is definitely right in saying that your combat options open up by the time you're done with the tutorial. You look for missions (typically short, some of them long -- and so far they've been easy for a Tank), five-man party-up or roll solo and go. The rules are based on a modified (read: lightened) version of D&D v4.0. Just means that you typically have Special Attacks pre-defined and really, playing on a gamepad it makes sense. The button combos do get a lil' hectic but now the game is showing its depth!

Honestly the game IS pretty damn close to the original play style of Bioware's Neverwinter Nights (I didn't play Neverwinter Nights 2 beyond a Level 5 character), just adapted to a gamepad; you have about 30+ Emote actions (complete with animations -- see this pic below where my 'toon is doing push-ups while waiting for a party ), send Private Messages, set up hot keys for your controller, etc. The menus and options take quite a few clicks to get to unfortunately so learn them well! Definitely not as easy as playing on PC of course but still, not bad as-is. This game might push me to buy a new Chatpad!

Typical stats and look of your Player Character.

This last pic is at Level 11; I've added a Blue Shader to his low-level armor. I will save all future colors from here on out since this armor will be getting outclassed probably later tonight but I wanted to see how it works: you can select 3 different areas to shade, a Primary area, a Secondary area and a Detail area. This dye was applied to a Primary area.

One thing that's bugged is that every time you level up, the process deletes your character description. Considering the age of this title, I doubt they're going to fix it anytime soon -- this is just a cash cow from here on out. Another thing that is annoying as fuck is the Admin message spam every time someone on your server/instance unlocks a Zen-fueled Tyrannical Lockbox. I just look at them like commercials (which they basically are -- these chests will only open with Keys that you have to use Zen to buy either quickly with cash or with hard-earned Astral Diamonds).

As Phil alluded to, the game changes at Level 60 as the amount of Astral Diamonds and other mats to level up your swank Legendary gear turns into astronomical values. I'm going to see what I can do and how long the game will hold me playing it strictly free... but so far I'm cautiously enjoying my free download.
    Last edited by novicius; April 3rd, 2015 at 08:47 AM.

Looks interesting. Started downloading it last night. Hopefully I'll get to try it out this weekend.

Novi, yup I realise this is an old game, just ported to console.

My X360 however is quirky and likes to RROD. It is just that I've been waiting for the next Halo to come out requiring a XB1 before contemplating a purchase, as that is basically the only thing I use that console for*

*and even then not lately as my Halo buddy has moved to the UK.

That's cool Leon I just wanted to make sure you knew it was an old game.

Still, it doesn't look bad for its age!

Kid & I got our sword-and-sorcery on last night. He's playing a spell caster named "Sam Silver" while I was jockeying a different 'toon named "Lerissa".

Today my girl & I have been sick with a springtime flu bug -- so that means hot soup and XBONE! I played through a few co-op missions with some Pubbies.

That's probably not the scoreboard to be #1 on, eh?

Maybe this "Free2Play" business ain't so bad after all?
    Last edited by novicius; April 6th, 2015 at 11:02 AM.

Orc Tempura on the menu?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    Supposedly it is like that at Level 60. Once you hit that level then it is a lot of grinding or you have to buck up the $$$.
    As with Destiny, my number one goal is just to enjoy the game. I am not worried about top flight gear or numbers, just playin through the content. Much like in racing, I want to make it to the finish line using the least amount of resources as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    And you can get to Level 20 in Destiny in about 8.5 hours. Though I guess Level 30 is what is needed to access all parts of the game. And I'd say that takes longer than 20 hours especially the first time.
    I don't know if there are game play stats for us but I think I hit Level 30 in probably ~25 hours. No baby yet and both my wife & I too sick to want to do anything but sit or sleep makes that possible over a three-day weekend.

The tutorial, first few missions were fun. I look forward to trying it out some more. Not bad for a free game.

XBONE maintenance is happening today to help fix general disconnects and drops when loading new areas & levels.

Are they making finding/joining a friend easier?

Nah, that system will never change.

For anyone else lurking there are basically two ways to "Join a Friend":

1. If you haven't logged into Neverwinter: make or join a Party Chat with your team and have only one person log into Neverwinter. That one person can then invite everyone else and they will automatically be routed to the correct Instance number.

2. If you're already logged into Neverwinter: make or join a Party Chat with your team and hit the 'Start' button on your controller. Scroll to 'Social' - 'Friends', highlight your friends' name and hit the green 'A' button (I believe) to Invite them to your Neverwinter group. Back out of this menu back to your Neverwinter UI. Once they've joined you, you'll see an Instance Number next to their name on the left-hand side of the screen. Go back to the 'Social' menu and go down to the 'Change Instance' option. A small menu will pop-up listing all open/available Instances by ID Number. Click on the number matching your buddy and pray it works.

The one way that DOESN'T seem to work well is to both be playing Neverwinter and then just sending a Game Invite via the XBONE Dashboard. Kid & I couldn't get that method to work. Hopefully it gets patched at some point in the future...