Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam: 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness

Cam: 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness

We bought a used (6000 miles) 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness in Crystal Black Silica. We're calling it Raven. Notable features above the normal Outback include a turbocharged 2.4 litre, an extra inch of ground clearance, upgraded off-road capability and stronger roof rack. I will post a photo soon. It was dark by the time it was parked in the driveway.

Please take a picture of it parked on a rock or something, true off-road vehicle style.

Also, the situation that caused the need for a purchase sucks, but from what I saw in the previous thread it seems like this is a cool car and a good deal you got on it

I'm seeing more and more of the Wilderness editions on the roads here.

Very cool. Congratulations.

I took the new (to us) car for a nice drive today. I literally got mud on the tires. I wanted to try all the new things. It's pretty much fully loaded. It's got a huge screen in the centre console and nearly everything is controlled from there. I'm not accustomed to this much tech in a car.

Engine: 260 hp, nearly double the Forester. It's got some pick-up, but the vehicle weighs over 3800 lbs. (1700 Kg.) so it's pushing a lot of weight.

Transmission: Automatic CVT. This car is not even available in manual. It seems OK, but it is often hunting for the right ratio. Still, it is more responsive than I thought it would be. I still prefer manual, but it's also nice to not have to think about it. I tried out X-Mode, which is for difficult conditions like snow, dirt and mud. You can only use it under 25 mph and it automatically shuts off after that. I didn't notice much of a difference in performance, but the steering felt a little heavier and the engine was revving a little higher while the mode was engaged. I can only guess that it is controlling the differential stiffness and transmission ratio.

Suspension: 9.5 inches of ground clearance! Suspension is stiffer than the Forester, but a comfortable ride on the pavement. I took it down a short, rough, dirt road nearby that we've been on before with the Forester to go canoeing. It handled the road with ease, even with all the ruts and potholes. This thing is like a jeep, but drives like a car.

Interior: I feel like it is luxurious. As I said, it's pretty much fully loaded. The heated (front and rear) seats are comfortable. They kind of look like leather, but I know they are not. (According to Subaru's web site, the interior is Grey StarTex Urethane.) There is plenty of room, even for us tall people in both the front and back. It has a sunroof. I went on a two-hour drive this afternoon and did not get fatigued at all. The huge screen is almost obnoxious and difficult to use while driving, as you can adjust so many things. I will learn it and get used to it eventually, but it's almost overwhelming at the moment. There are only a few features I would use on it regularly anyway.

Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist: This is interesting, but frustrating at the same time. If you turn on cruise, it will maintain a specified distance to the car ahead, which is great, unless the vehicle ahead goes ridiculously slow. Before you realize it, you're going 45 in a 70 zone. Overall, I like the adaptive cruise, as it keeps a safe distance to the vehicle ahead. The lane assist, however, is not for me. If it is on, you are basically fighting with the car to steer. I don't like my car trying to tell me what to do. It will literally steer for you, but also tells you to keep your hands on the wheel. It beeps if you stray from the centre of the lane. It beeps if a car merges ahead of you. It beeps if a car ahead of you leaves your lane. It beeps when it gets up to the set cruise speed. The beeping can get annoying in traffic. Thankfully, you can turn all that off, but it is buried in the menus of the centre console theatre screen.

Cargo: Plenty of room in the back with the folding rear seats down. In fact, I literally lied down in the back at the dealership to test if I could sleep in there if I had to. It passed the test. We have to get the roof rack cross bars installed though, so we can mount the canoe or bike racks.

Overall, I think I will like it, a lot. It is plush inside, drives nice, is capable on and off-road, plus I think it looks hoss. I look forward to adventuring in it.

IMG_4182.jpg

At first, I thought it was "Crystal Black Silica." Now I realize it is "Magnetite Gray Metallic."

When you turn off the Lane Assist, does it remember to keep it off the next time you drive the car?
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    When you turn off the Lane Assist, does it remember to keep it off the next time you drive the car?
    It does on my outback.
    Nice get, Cam. I really like the Wilderness edition - Was parked next to a blue one at a rest area in pennsylvania last week and was thinking "Kind of wish we'd waited to buy until those came out..."
    -Formerly Stabulator

You have to actively turn it on for it to steer for you. It remembers the setting though. The warning beeps default to on, I believe. I have not tried to turn them off.

Sweet ride, man.