Page 90 of 98 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: Random's Unified Fleet Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    Tyler is good at those.
    Well.....

I'm back to paralysis by analysis:

$6500 for a 3/4 'Burb: https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/d...329734990.html
    $10k for a Expedition: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...339548376.html

Even being a base model, I'm sure the Expedition is a nicer truck in pretty much every way. A tad smaller, of course. Hmm. There's also this Expedition EL at a local used lot: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...350118717.html but local used lots scare me.
    Whoomah!

Yeah, the local lot is increasingly terrifying. I consider the Aero a complete success because it needed only about $800 worth of stuff the second I drove it off the lot. If these guys would deal like they used to it'd be a risk maybe worth taking, but paying a premium for an auction car that's never been driven by the seller with zero service history... I wouldn't throw $10k at that. If you're moving up to that budget and that age range, you should be able to move to a reputable dealer.... may still have the same issues, but they're likely to be compliant about it, maybe offer a short-term warranty or something?

No doubt the Expedition is a nicer truck. '01 vs. '10 is literally night and day, pre and post the Nice Truck revolution. For me, it'd be about the Benjamins since I don't drive the truck that often, use it only for hauling dogs and cars, and have absolutely zero sensitivity to "nice" in a truck. But, I suspect you will use it more often and you do have kids & their safety & comfort to worry about. I think likely a sacrifice of purchase and maintenance dollars makes sense. Almost guaranteed a '10 Expedition is worlds safer than an '01 Suburban. You could also look at newer Tahoes & Yukons. They are weighty and competent for towing anything but the biggest shit. Hell, get an Avalanche or EXT!

Edit: Nevermind, those things are still damned pricey!
    Last edited by thesameguy; October 18th, 2017 at 11:20 AM.

Yeah, the GMT900 prices have stayed pretty healthy, certainly in comparison with the mid/late 3rd Gen Expeditions.
    Whoomah!

Although in the past I think generally a GM truck is more reliable (or, at least cheaper to operate) and more competent than a Ford truck, ~10 year old truck prices don't justify whatever that difference may be... if it's still even a thing. I don't think a $6500 '01 with 180k is at all justified by what you get. $10k for a '10 seems fair to me. The former is definitely some weird premium; the latter is just used car pricing. I might feel differently if this was a single-purpose vehicle - like you're towing a 5000lb trailer to a work site every day - but for occasional towing and family hauling and camping? Some mild inconvenience sometimes is just not a big deal. Slow lane, down shift, whatever.

I've had zero performance issues with the 1/2 ton '99 Suburban... I am positive a '10 Expedition is going to be a much better experience all around.

The other option, of course, is to back away from my scope creep and roll the dice with a 1500/4L60 combo. The Z71 owners seem just as proud of their trucks as the 2500 owners, though.
    Whoomah!

It's not a bad approach I don't think. If you save $1500, you've paid for a rebuilt transmission to get installed at some point, if it ever comes up. As long as you get the factory tow package or replicate it (note the gears), you really should be fine with any sort of well maintained truck. Or, find one with a trashed transmission and start off with a new one. If I hadn't lucked into the truck I have, I probably would have gone that way.

You know me, I always take the shotgun approach - create the widest possibility of acceptable answers and then choose the first one that presents itself.

2007 Tahoes start at about $9k on craigslist down here. Far superior vehicle to the Expedition in my opinion.

The 6R is a six-speed automatic transmission for longitudinal engine placement in rear-wheel drive vehicles. It is based on the ZF 6HP26 transmission[1] and is built under license by the Ford Motor Company at its Livonia Transmission plant in Livonia, Michigan.
    I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    2007 Tahoes start at about $9k on craigslist down here. Far superior vehicle to the Expedition in my opinion.
    Gotta go 09+ in the Tahoes to get the 6-speed and the only one under 5-figures in the Sacto/Bay Area has 235k on it.

(I agree, they are nice trucks--we've got three in the pen here at work.)
    Whoomah!