Page 1 of 98 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Random's Unified Fleet Thread

Exclamation Random's Unified Fleet Thread

You know how you know you're getting old? When you start having thoughts like, "you know, a minivan would be pretty practical...we could move lumber in it, we could go camping, we could..."

Arg!
    Whoomah!

Man, minivans are kind of awesome when you need something with utility. And then you don't feel guilty loading them up with safety/entertainment stuff.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I wouldn't mind having one as long as I didn't have to drive it every day. My parents' T&C is pretty sweet. Especially at $8k or so off sticker.

I guess I'm the opposite... the minivan is what I would buy if I wanted that utility and did have to drive it everyday. If you don't, I can't think of a single reason not to buy a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban. If you have to drive something ponderous, but don't have to drive it every day, you might as well get something that can get off the road, tow stuff, and crush stuff. I think something like that T&C is a fine intersection of intense utility, respectable drive, and good enough fuel economy... it's the compromise of utility and daily practicality. If you don't need the latter, focus on the former. As for getting old, I've had a big ol' hard on for a 4WD Astro or supercharged Previa since the '90s!

I dunno, Tahoes really don't have much space in them, and Suburbans still don't have the vertical space a minivan does. With Stow 'n' Go, you've got a flat floor cargo can and 7 passenger vehicle with no schlepping or storage of big bulky seats.

To me the advantage of full size SUVs are basically down to 4WD and towing. I wouldn't put anything too dirty for a minivan in a Suburban. I'd actually rather a pickup truck, or a utility trailer - but then, a minivan will comfortably tow a small utility trailer.

My ultimate "don't need to drive it every day" vehicle would be an Isuzu NPR or similar truck with a nice long stake bed or car hauler...

Anyway, I also like those Previas, or first gen Mazda MPV 4WD... But what I'd really like is a conversion can based on the new Ram ProMaster!

An NPR is a very good choice. If it's a diesel would you have to smog it? They've also sold a butt load of them with 5.7 and 6.0 V8s(auto only though).

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    I dunno, Tahoes really don't have much space in them, and Suburbans still don't have the vertical space a minivan does. With Stow 'n' Go, you've got a flat floor cargo can and 7 passenger vehicle with no schlepping or storage of big bulky seats.

To me the advantage of full size SUVs are basically down to 4WD and towing. I wouldn't put anything too dirty for a minivan in a Suburban. I'd actually rather a pickup truck, or a utility trailer - but then, a minivan will comfortably tow a small utility trailer.
    I'm in agreement with that. I sat in the back seat of a Tahoe the other day, and while hip room was good, leg room wasn't anything special. The cargo area also isn't all that impressive unless you load above the window line.

You could get Ford's new "wagon"

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/transitconnectwagon/

Get that weak shit off my track

Neat! I like the aircraft-style overhead bins.

They are going to get reamed in the comparos for only having a 4-cyl in a full-sized minivan, though. They need to stick a small diesel in it.
    Whoomah!

At least they aren't offering the 1.0 L Ecoboost 3 cyl.