Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 LastLast

Thread: Random's Unified Fleet Thread

Why are people so weird/resistant about smogging vehicles for sale, like they are required to?

My guess is the car failed and the owner thinks (right or wrong) it'll take more effort and money than they want to put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Definitely on the table. I don't know that there is a good way to check for those cracks without a substantial teardown, but by the same token I would imagine most 15 year old 5.3s that are still running are okay. Those problems were becoming apparent just a few years after the cars hit the roads.
    Buddies did it 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Why are people so weird/resistant about smogging vehicles for sale, like they are required to?
    IME, most sellers aren't aware of their actual legal obligation to do it, and once they've put a car up for sale they are 100% done putting money into it. A $60 smog "they don't have to" do just eats into whatever they're getting for it. What you do at that point depends entirely on your comfort level - buy it and hope, or walk... the seller doesn't care... if you don't buy it, someone else will. Or so they think. But someone probably will... because most buyers don't know the law, either.

Good news is that all the trucks you're looking for are Y2k+ so it's just the e-test. You could *probably* bring along an OBDII code reader, check for readiness, and drive immediately from pickup to the smog test place. As long as you bring a spare gas cap, it's 99.9% certain to pass. The only thing that could really hose you would be an evap leak, and on *most* vehicles that'd trigger a CEL. As certain Mustang owners have observed.

On occasion, I have used this to my advantage - actually showed the seller the DMV page detailing their obligation, and then talked them down $100+ for taking on the risk. I've only had to argue about it once - everyone else either got the smog or gave the discount when presented with the evidence.
    Last edited by thesameguy; November 14th, 2017 at 03:59 PM.

I had no trouble selling the car with that leak.

I have a set of TD ProRace 1.2s up for sale, if anyone needs them.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/wt...381566796.html

edit: Sold! To an Audi driver--they fit the early 80s Audis (mechanically and stylistically).
    Whoomah!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Give Justin a 2018 hug when you see him.

Tell him I miss his automotive musings.
    acket.

Will do. We had lunch before xmas; he's doing well.
    Whoomah!

Took half an hour and reset the rear shocks on the FiST from "stun" to "totally reasonable." Still not sure why Koni decided to make these internal adjust--the ZX3 had external adjust and a nearly identical mounting arrangement. Anyhow, it's a pain in the ass to re-adjust these. Mostly the part where you have to get the upper mount bolts lined back up by feel. Grr.
    Whoomah!

Finally pulled the trigger on a truck, much to the relief of the google Hangouts crew.

2003 Suburban 2500 4x4, 6-liter V8, 3.73 gears, pretty much all the comfort and convenience bells and whistles. No sunroof, which I am totally ok with. 119k miles, in pretty nice condition for its age. Has the ripped driver's seat that ALL the GMT800 trucks have at this age.

Things to take care of:
    Cheesy, cheap LED lights. OEM lights came with the truck and will be swapped back on ASAP.
    The shocks are pretty done.
    Need to do the "pump rub" mod to prevent destruction of the transfer case.
    Tune-up.

IMG_20180417_172155390_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180417_172120894.jpg
    Whoomah!