Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I lost a really good friend today.

I lost a really good friend today.

I got a dreaded phone call this morning from my Mom and Dad that our dog, Maggie, had passed away this morning. She was the most well behaved and kindhearted dog towards people and kids. She could rough house and wrestle, she was calm enough to let kids (or me) to lay on her. Maggie never bit or snipped at anyone, except those who played rough with her, and that was all in fun anyways. She didn't growl at anyone. When she was tired of the kids harassing her, she would get up and walk away. She was simply the best dog I have ever been around.

We originally got her because my brother rescued her from a family that didn't care about her at all. She couldn't have been 8 weeks old yet. I was shocked when both Mom and Dad said we would keep her, because we already had a dog, Rudy, who was rather old. She was the little black ball of fluff. I was probably 14 or so when we got her. We have a photo of her with Mom holding her and she could easily fit into my Mom's tiny hands.

Over the years, she grew and her color went from mostly black to a golden blonde with a black section on her shoulders, and a tip of white at the very end of her tail.

DSCN0175.jpg

She was my buddy, in the true "little sister way." She would listen and pay attention to Mom, Dad, and my brother Matt, and flat out ignore me. It was a sight to witness. However, when I would get home from work, or off clinical rotation, I could usually catch her sleeping in my bed. She didn't do this to anyone else. When She slept in Mom and Dad's room, it was on the floor unless they were in there. Matt's room was always on the floor.

When she was younger, she would act as if she was in trouble for being in my bed. Scurrying out of the bed as quickly as she could from a deep slumber. However, as she got older, she cared less.

IMG_20121219_184617_202.jpg IMG_20130303_170525_085.jpg

Within the last few years, she would almost stare me down as if to say "I'm here, find your own place to nap."

IMG_20121123_171104_900.jpg

One of the most interesting personality traits of hers when she was younger, was if you would try to take a direct facial photo with her looking at you, she would turn away. Almost as if to pose for the shot. This photo was the result of that little quirk.

Maggie.jpg

She absolutely LOVED it when you would gently scratch the frontmost part of her chest. If you stopped, she would paw at you to you to have you keep going. Sometimes you would get the look as if to say "your job is not done here, keep scratching."

She also really enjoy a good belly rub. She would lay on her back spread eagle you you could rub all of her belly.

She was 14 when she passed away.

I know a lot of people say their dog was the best, but they never met Maggie.

2012-08-16 17.37.22.jpg

I'm sorry to hear it, bro.

Sounds like she had a good, full life

Sorry to hear.

14 is indeed a good run - it doesn't make losing them any easier, but at least you know it wasn't cut short and she got to live it to the fullest. Speaks volumes about her care.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Gutted buddy.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Oh I love that rainbow bridge story after the passing of our beloved cat...

My condolences dude!

All dogs are the best in their way. They give us 100% but a consequence of that seems to be that they don't last long.

Administrator
    So sorry to hear, but it's so good to hear about a dog that's been given a great life.