Page 66 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

missed that on the first go-around

Well done.

I rarely come in here but it was worth it this time.

Made a little profit on an extra USGP ticket I sold on Stub Hub, so I decided to go ahead with the upgrade.

Intel 9900k
    Asus Z390 board
    2070 Super
    32GB RAM
    Sabret 1TB M.2 storage.
    AIO Cooler

Maybe overkill on the CPU and RAM, but I'm thinking they'll be worth it with X-Plane and the next Flight Simulator. I plan on getting a VR headset soon too. I thought about saying fuck it and getting a 2080Ti, but came to my senses. This will be my 3rd x70 Nvidia GPU after 570 and 770. I think it's their sweet spot.

Also, I'm gonna be covered in unicorn vomit, it seems. Everything has RGB lol. Wasn't looking for RGB, everything was picked on spec and/or price. Only thing I kinda chose RGB over non was the RAM, since everything else had it Pretty sure I'm gonna set it all to dark blue or something and leave it.

Interestingly, everything except the SSD was bought at Best Buy. With tax being charged on Amazon and Newegg these days, Best Buy can compete, and they had stuff in stock, instead of waiting nearly a month (1.5 weeks for some things, but I'll be out of town for another 1.5 weeks by the time it would arrive). Didn't even think of buying there until I saw a few parts were cheapest there on PC Parts Picker. The rest could be price matched. And I have their card, so I could get 6% back in store credit.

Even ended up saving $40 on the RAM because the CPU cooler I bought was advertised online for about $8 less. When he went to fix it, he must have picked the RAM instead.

Now I need to figure out Windows. Can I call them up and get my license transferred to a new Mobo? Then I need to figure out what to put on the M.2 and what to keep on the 2.5" SSDs.

You won't regret 32gb ram. No one ever does.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Made a little profit on an extra USGP ticket I sold on Stub Hub, so I decided to go ahead with the upgrade.

Intel 9900k
    Asus Z390 board
    2070 Super
    32GB RAM
    Sabret 1TB M.2 storage.
    AIO Cooler

Maybe overkill on the CPU and RAM, but I'm thinking they'll be worth it with X-Plane and the next Flight Simulator. I plan on getting a VR headset soon too. I thought about saying fuck it and getting a 2080Ti, but came to my senses. This will be my 3rd x70 Nvidia GPU after 570 and 770. I think it's their sweet spot.

Also, I'm gonna be covered in unicorn vomit, it seems. Everything has RGB lol. Wasn't looking for RGB, everything was picked on spec and/or price. Only thing I kinda chose RGB over non was the RAM, since everything else had it Pretty sure I'm gonna set it all to dark blue or something and leave it.

Interestingly, everything except the SSD was bought at Best Buy. With tax being charged on Amazon and Newegg these days, Best Buy can compete, and they had stuff in stock, instead of waiting nearly a month (1.5 weeks for some things, but I'll be out of town for another 1.5 weeks by the time it would arrive). Didn't even think of buying there until I saw a few parts were cheapest there on PC Parts Picker. The rest could be price matched. And I have their card, so I could get 6% back in store credit.

Even ended up saving $40 on the RAM because the CPU cooler I bought was advertised online for about $8 less. When he went to fix it, he must have picked the RAM instead.

Now I need to figure out Windows. Can I call them up and get my license transferred to a new Mobo? Then I need to figure out what to put on the M.2 and what to keep on the 2.5" SSDs.
    If you have access to another PC and an 8GB or bigger USB drive, download the installer tool and create a bootable USB drive that you can use to install windows onto your M.2 SSD. You may need to configure your BIOS boot order to do this initially.

So I put together everything tonight. Took a while to figure out why I couldn't see any of my drives in BIOS to at least try and start up windows. Something about CMS UEFI Legacy something something.

Anyway, figured it out, and here I am on the new components (minus GPU and M.2 SSD). Started windows right up without issues, though it does say Windows isn't activated and gives some error in the menu for showing the product key, but everything seems to be working fine.

Now, I wonder if I install a fresh Windows on the M.2, if it will work??

Maybe if this is working, I keep this as my system drive and use m.2 for games.

Junior Potato
    I'd install Windows on whatever drive has the best transfer speeds. Of course, if the M.2 drive is an NVMe one, then it's a no-brainer, and whack it on that.

I know it's probably not a good thing to do, but I got my Win 10 key from Kinguin. They sell surplus keys from vendors.

Hey, at least it wasn't G2A. You can get keys from eBay too.

BUT! Try your existing key first. You might luck-out.

You can get keys even over Amazon.
    And yes, NvME trumps everything else.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you spend?

Female Masturbatory Aid
    No such thing as overkill!

If you've got Windows currently installed and want to re-install it on the new HDD, I'd suggest the media creation tool. I've used it a number of times and it makes it virtually painless. It takes all the info on your current install, and installs it to a new drive, without the need of bullshit keys/activation, etc, etc.

It was all about $1500

I think I'm going to just do a clean install of Windows anyway on the M.2 drive. All my games and such are on other drives, so it should be a somewhat easy process.