Page 71 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Junior Potato
    Oh good. I’ll look into that then.

It was just a giant fuck around to get it from my outgoing laptop and into my new desktop.

Maybe I just did it wrong!

So I decided to order the LG 950F and compare it side to side (well, I can't actually fit them side by side lol) to the Samguns CRG 9 Super Ultrawide i had bought. LG has a better image quality mostly, but the Samsung does better HDR, and has that crazy real estate. Tough call, but I think the Samsung is going to go back. Just got the LG in last night, so I'll play with both this week before sending one back to Amazon. LG being on sale and $300 cheaper is also a nice bonus.

Samsung Pros:
    ALL THE GIRTH.
    Stand, aesthetics, cable management
    HDR stuff on YouTube at least looks better.
    No stupid power brick like the LG.

LG Pros:
    Slightly higher Framerate at 144 instead of 120Hz, but honestly, I don't care much about that.
    3/4 the price.
    Better blacks, more constant image across the panel, and I haven't even played with settings. Just a bit blown out by default it seems.
    Doesn't take up as much room on desk.
    Not as taxing on GPU.

Thinking towards VR for flight and race sims makes the extra width less important, though I use the real estate for productivity too. The $300 saved could go towards a VR headset.

If LG made this exact thing at 32:9 for the same price as the Samsung, there'd be no competition I think.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; November 9th, 2019 at 08:10 AM.

I looked at getting the Xiaomi Surface 34" 144hz monitor as I can get it in HK for USD358. However, I have a perfectly good Dell U3415W (or maybe it's U3417W) that I'm using and which the Xiaomi is unlikely to be a major upgrade over. I am waiting for 4K HDR 21:9 or even wider monitors to drop to USD550 then maybe I'll upgrade.

I've also been looking at the crazy Bestbuy deals on the ASUS TUF and G731 notebooks, but shipping via MyUS seems a bit of a faff and it's probably better to support local stores given the tough time they've recently been going through.

Junior Potato
    Drive received.

Drive installed.

Snugly hidden away on the back of the mobo there.

Now it is copping all of my games from Steam in a 2-hour transfer

Junior Potato
    STILL a pain in the arse.

Seems I'm cursed to never be able to easily move my Steam installs, no matter what the tutorials say.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Would it not be easier to just uninstall, then RE-install? Not all their games are cloud saves though, so I guess you'd have to fuck around with that too.

Junior Potato
    If you copy the data for a game across, you can be back an up and running in minutes without having to re-download. All the tutorials I see say that you just copy your whole install to a new drive (or in the case of Steam’s own help page, just two folders and steam.exe, delete the rest). Then when you log into Steam again it magically fixes everything up.

I found myself needing to do each game individually, fucking with install paths, reinstalling Steam twice (while accidentally having two on the go at once) and all sorts of ridiculous shit.

I'd re-install everything again as I did, to be certain.
    Just try tricks with games with no cloud saves, in case.

I had to do it once, I think I just installed steam on the new drive, then copied the old "steamapps" folder.

And the CRG9 went back to Amazon today. Other than some HDR oddities and smaller workspace, the LG 21:9 has been much better.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; November 12th, 2019 at 09:49 PM.

Pulled the trigger on my next CPU last night, along with motherboard, RAM and an NVME drive for Win 10. Plus a few other bits and pieces which I need for the build or should that be rebuild I have planned