Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Junior Potato
    Perfect thing for playing Duke Nukem 3D.

Hah, YW, you could also try and grab another mobo for the cheapz and turn it into some sort of media server or a dedicated emulator box (... Dolphin? - know that'd be 4W3S0M3)

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Nice one mate, I'm well-jel (jeal?). My OCed 2600K is still chugging away but I think I fried something recently as the MB now can't detect my USB keyboard on-boot, although it's fine when you're in Windows. That might slightly restrict my re-purposing it in the future, although I'm not actually sure what to do with it once it's been replaced with a Skylake machine.
    That would be a BIOS issue, probably just a setting. I think it's generally called LEGACY USB SUPPORT but I may be confused. Been a long time since I've had that issue.

Probably a BIOS issue as said. There will be a setting within the BIOS for USB Legacy or something similar as TSG says.

TSG, will it be just racing games you'll be playing?

I'm not sure it is. The problem could be with the keyboard itself as one day it suddenly refused to respond. My IT guy had to upgrade the firmware before it did. After that it worked fine in Windows but throws up a no keyboard error at POST, even though I think USB legacy support is on.

Good idea about converting it into something like a pure SNES/N64 emulator. I thought I had everything I needed (MyCloud in the office, HTPC in the bedroom, HTPC/server in the living room) but I could do that. It's a bit more likely that I'll move it to my office, but in a smaller case (keeping the current RV02-E at home by using it for the new build), and use it as a backup desktop/FLAC media server though, as the MyCloud can be slightly unstable.

ANYWAY - grats on your new build, Scawtbro, now it's time for me to resume the waiting game...
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; May 11th, 2015 at 07:52 PM.

That would be pretty boss

Thanks! I was not strong enough to wait

Well, it depends on what your old rig was. Laptop, right? In which case I understand. Me, I've got at least one computer in every room I spend major time in (save for the office), all of which are powerful enough to play triple-A titles at acceptable settings at 1920x1080 and which can run Lightroom to an acceptable standard. Really, the least powerful one is an i5-3470 with a 560Ti in it, and that's the HTPC/server. The OCed 2600K is also not that much slower than the 2 subsequent generations of processors. It would be different if I had only a single Core2-based computer or laptop.

Anyway, enjoy that new PC smell! Win10 looks like it'll be good too.

Junior Potato
    If you were to build a dedicated emulator PC, you might as well get it to run old games from GOG too. Mine runs X-Wing Alliance at resolutions that would've made the average PC blow a poo-poo valve back in 1998.

As well as flawless N64 greats, and near flawless GCN games, but you really want quad core for that shizz.

It's quad core alright. But no point setting up another gaming machine when I won't have time to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Anyway, enjoy that new PC smell! Win10 looks like it'll be good too.
    I can't wait for Win10. Especially with better Xbox integration, crossbuy, etc. I'd like to get my laptop up and running with it as well, with a fresh install.
    I'm also hoping they announce a new flagship Lumia soon too, that runs Phone 10. 940 and 940XL are the rumors. Pretty stoked.