Page 107 of 120 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1200

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Junior Potato
    Another thing about this screen: it's curved and sits close to you.

It tends to bounce every little noise you make right back into your ears.

Hearing myself licking my lips is... unsettling

What about the sound of F...

So I have a few surplus mechanical Hard Drives in smaller sizes 1-2TB. All WD. Anyone want one or two? I had a drawer full of smaller dives with backup info but I am moving to consolidate them onto 1 or 2 larger drives.

Upgraded my 1700X to a 5700X and now things happen 50%-60% faster. Kept the X370 MB so it took as long to update the BIOS as it did to swap the cpu.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    So I have a few surplus mechanical Hard Drives in smaller sizes 1-2TB. All WD. Anyone want one or two? I had a drawer full of smaller dives with backup info but I am moving to consolidate them onto 1 or 2 larger drives.
    I have similar issues. You could raid0 them in a cheap nas for kicks?

Junior Potato
    I spent yesterday stripping the old PC down and giving it a good clean. I think I'd mentioned my crashing issues in iRacing here a few times with all signs pointing to GPU problems, but while its temps were running at a nice and easy 80°C, I noticed the CPU temps spiking up to near 100° just before the game would die. I'd considered buying a new larger cooler to replace the admittedly very small cooler I have now, but figured it's been four years since I built it so why not rip it apart and put some new goo in there?

Nice to see the thermal paste was evenly spread in my first attempt at this sort of deal. It was still gooey as well - no crusty bits! It wiped off easily and both surfaces were pristine. Interesting wang-shaped gap in the centre though. Presumably that's where the contact was tightest. I also cleaned out as much dust as I could, even unscrewed the fans and gave them a good wipe down. End result is my CPU temps have dropped by 20-30°C and I probably saved myself a couple of hundred bucks on new equipment.

Fingers crossed it works reliably now, as it did when new. The new season of Fake Racing Cars starts next week and I don't want to be losing even more iRating to annoying computer problems.

If it works, then it's nice to see that the 9th-gen i5 and RTX 2070 combo is still a reasonably solid and viable way to play PC games in 2022. It's not spectacular but it does the job.

I'd suggest a proper air cooler or a 240 AiO instead of a low profile one: usually the low profile are abysmal in performance, even the Noctua ones.
    Or even a new case... NZXT are known to be ovens (aside from the new Airflow one).

EDIT: for the future, eh.
    What thermal paste are you using? It went spread decently, only a bit worried for that patch off center.
    But surely now you laid it even better if you got 20-30 degrees less!
    Last edited by Blerpa; December 11th, 2022 at 06:28 AM.

Junior Potato
    I use the paste that came with my cooler. A blob about the size of two grains of rice is all you need.

My LG Ultrawide of only 3 years has bitten the dust. Randomly starting shitting the bed as soon as I loaded up MSFS 2020. I think not coincidentally....

Couldn't quite decide to go for another UW again or 4k. Decided on UW, but we'll see.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)