Page 63 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Junior Potato
    Thanks Stephen. I've just been playing the Doom demo at 120fps.

Rock solid. I think I'm hooked. It feels so good to launch a new-ish title and not have to pick and choose which settings you use. Just drive it all up to ultra.

But my wireless mouse and KB could do with some attention (fuck, here we go, more money).

Female Masturbatory Aid
    My impulse is shit. I just got the 43" LG UHD. It's completely fucking ridiculous.

My "roommate" works remote again, so I bought her a Dell G5 laptop (8650 6-core, 16GB RAM, blah blah). I set up her new desk, and decided to let her use/have my two Samsung 32" UHD monitors, to be more efficient at it.

The funny thing is the 28" Samsung UHD I've had for about 4 years keeps finding its way back on my desk. It's been at the office, only to have purchased two more to replace it, it's been on her desk, only to return after I bought the LG, and I had a "spare" 32". For the sake of uniformity, I gave her the pair of 32s, so she didn't have a 28 and 32.

#FirstWorldProblems

Junior Potato
    There’s no better place to put this than here; Tetris Effect is going to be released in PC with VR support.

It’ll be an Epic Games Store exclusive, but it’s worth the effort if you’ve not played the PS4 version.

It’s one of the most incredible games I’ve ever played, now with unlocked frame rate and resolution support!

Junior Potato
    I've been tinkering with the video capture in my graphics card. This is what Wreckfest looks like recorded on my system at 4K and churned through the YouTube compression algorithm. Dang it runs well!

Junior Potato
    And here’s Assetto Corsa Competizione running at 1080p.

Junior Potato
    Righto.

I bang on about ray tracing a bit. I think it's a great thing.

On that subject, Mojang, developer of Minecraft, announced at Gamescom that they have partnered with Nvidia to release a ray-traced version of the game. It will be a free update for Minecraft PC players sometime in the near future.

If you own a RTX GPU.

But for now, there is a mod for the game that has been available for sometime now which adds user-made ray tracing and it looks beautiful.

And... some proactive geniuses have it running on an AMD RX 5700XT at over 50fps. Comparison to an RTX 2080 Super has it at 85-100fps.

Obviously, in outdoor scenes with lots of stuff going on and near reflective water it can dip down to around 35fps, but its still above 30. If one was happy to do so it would be worth it to drop the settings and use a 30fps frame limit and have a solid, smooth game experience.

And yeah, it's just Minecraft - not exactly the most demanding game title ever made. Playing BFV on an RX 5700XT with ray tracing would cripple the poor thing. But it's still fun to play with! I'm pretty sure it would work just as well with a GTX 10-series GPU as well.

Now, if Minecraft Java edition would not lag like shit on 1.14.4 release... it is affecting a lot of users, me included. Even Optifine HD is not solving the issues.
    It is right down unplayable.
    And I've a PC able to run The Witcher 3 and Forza Horizon 4 with all set to very high or ultra at rock solid 60fps in 1080p (i5 4670k, 16gb DDR3 o.c. to 2166, RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB, games installed on a Crucial MX500 SSD...)

Junior Potato
    Can you not access the regular version? Or would you have to pay for it again?

I am thinking about building a Ryzen 7 3600 with 32GB RAM to replace my work PC, which is an i5-6500 with 16GB. The latter is no longer fast as I often open several hundred pages of PDFs at the same time in Acrobat, 4-5 Word documents, Outlook, and have AllwaySync and Spideroak running, and while it has a 970GTX it's pushing a 43" Dell 4317 and a 27" portrait Dell U2717 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Can you not access the regular version? Or would you have to pay for it again?
    Java edition is the regular classic version, all the others came after.
    Anyhow I do own also the Bedrock (Win 10/Xbox) edition and the Pocket Edition (iOS/Android): those are limited and cannot install shaderpacks in them.
    You can only put textures in it and fake shaders (which are actually simple resource packs made of textures) and there's no Optifine or mod for it.
    Also Microsoft keeps those editions behind in version as, IIRC, the Bedrock edition is like on 1.12, for example.

And yes I paid for all of them. 20,95 euro for the Java (usually around 25), 3,95 euro for the Bedrock (Usually 29,99 or 49,99 euro accordingly to the packs included) and about 6 euro from my Google Playstore credit for the PE edition, so it's not like I paid much, but the better version is unplayable right now for me, which sucks majorly.