Page 60 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

The best advantage over places that build it for you is you can get the items you really want...I’d rather have a Corsair or Coolermaster case for half the price of the Lian Li. And no one needs a Asus ROG Strix. I would get a Asrock or a non ROG Asus. You can pick the ram and power supply as well.

Those pre build places often use refurb stuff and you don’t get all the stuff the retail boxes would give you.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    to this day an i7 is useless, unless you use your pc for something else heavy than playing.
    And for that you’re better off with a Ryzen 7 anyway.

As for Newegg, they do have Int’l shipping if you’re prepared to wait a bit. I know they ship to Australia. Their pricing for a lot of stuff might be super competitive simply because of their size and market share.

But I found their prices are only marginally better than Umart, which is our local equivalent, if you factor in shipping and wait times.

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    RTX is still a pretty useless gimmick (probably 2 to 3 years before it will matter).
    Yeah, that's what I figure, but if I'm going to build something, I don't want it to be outdated in 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    You can get all that on Newegg for about the same price and customize what you really want for even better prices. And you get the added benefit of not having to take it to your local micro center store for problems or warranty issues.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wZ6Kw6
    I just built it on PC Parts Picker, and got $1757 (guessing on brand of GPU and PSU, so went with cheap options). And that's with a basic AIO for the CPU and air for the GPU. Once you factor in the water cooling, it's gonna be about $2k.

Now whether that water cooling is just for fun/looks/gimmicky, that's another argument.

Sure you could save money in a lot of places and make a "similar" spec. But for the actual parts you get here, it's a good deal.

Here's a build with the cheapest options I could find, and it comes out to just under $1400. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XbWKw6

I'd spend the extra $7 if I wanted this spec.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; April 24th, 2019 at 06:57 AM.

I've heard too many horror stories about pre built computers from them using refurb parts. I'd rather build my own spec and get the full retail unopened boxes with all the accessories that come with them. And if you have any problem with their computer their warranty specifically says to bring it to a retail store. No thanks.

But good luck.

Ah, that could certainly be a concern.

BTW, I'm not buying one. Closest store is about 600 miles away anyway.

No, but I am starting to look for good deals that pop up on components I want to build my system from. And it would be spec'd pretty similarly, I think.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    I've heard too many horror stories about pre built computers from them using refurb parts. I'd rather build my own spec and get the full retail unopened boxes with all the accessories that come with them. And if you have any problem with their computer their warranty specifically says to bring it to a retail store. No thanks.

But good luck.
    To me, that's the best part. I like picking/choosing the bits, and putting them all together. It's kind of like custom Lego models, finding all the parts, assembling it, only cheaper.

And much more fun, since you can do stuff with it. Whereas Lego models just sit there.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Well, in my case, I get to rebuild the Lego quite often, having two asshole cats.

Even worse.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    My current "predicament":

I re-purposed my 2014 Z97/I7-4790K/32GB gaming PC to a work computer (WAY overkill, but better than the 2010 Lenovo Shitpad they issued me). I also have a 2018 H370/I5-8600K/16GB desktop I built fer her work station (technically, home use, but it was used for work, because of fore-mentioned shitpad reference). She's since gotten a new job (remote), and I bought her a I7-8650 Dell G15 laptop, so she will have something to take to the office for meetings on the rare occasion she has to be "in-person".

I have a co-worker that's interested in buying my my Z97 (I also still have a 1080 sitting in a box). Which would leave me out of a computer at work. I have a few choices, if he buys it (rather I sell it):

1: Take the H370, which is already added to our company's domain, with all my Office/etc licenses in tact, and make it my work PC.
    2: Use the H370 as a HTPC at home, get my current desktop added to the domain (WAY WAY overkill for work, Z370/I-7-8700K/32GB), build a new PC for home.

#1 should be the no-brainer. I'd actually come out with money (told him I'd sell it for $500 or so.
    #2 Would cost money, but I'd get to build something. The only silly part is, I'm not sure I could build anything worth the cost/effort that will vastly out-perform this current PC...

I hate logic and reason.