Page 88 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Remember when you could stand in line on release day and still get your product, or even wait 24 hours and not have a line at all?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Junior Potato
    Remember life before the pandemic?

Pepperidge... um I mean XKCD remembers.

Apparently Best Buy is implementing some new verification/anti-bot tools:

Quote Originally Posted by https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/k2qa94/best_buy_is_combatting_bots_hardcore/
    Once you get it in your cart and check out, you have to enter a verification code sent to your email and once you enter that you have to enter a code sent by your bank that’s on the card you’re checking out with. Keep trying guys you’ll get it!
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I'll report in when I get the keyboard later.
    Keyboard is here. I haven't really typed anything on it yet, apart from this post and a few Google searches.

It's heavy. My God it is heavy. I guess it's meant to sit solidly on a desk rather than my lap. And it isn't making me type any better yet

One gripe: it won't pair up with the receiver for the mouse. I suppose it would be too much of a no-brainer for Logitech to implement a feature like this.

But at least it has dual Lightspeed and Bluetooth functionality, so I just connect with Bluetooth and I'm happy. I just won't have access to the G keys, which are used to program for features in games, because the G Hub software doesn't recognise a peripheral that isn't connected via the receiver, which would be another no-brainer I guess.

At least it is solid and seems to be built well. It has all the media stop/start keys and volume controls which I use a lot, so it's OK for an expensive keyboard.

No RGB lighting though

Junior Potato
    Did you guys know that the RTX 3060 Ti was a thing?

I found out this morning, and for $400 North American pesos it matches the performance of the 2080 Super, and troubles the abilities of the RX 6800 especially in ray traced workloads.

Nice

Female Masturbatory Aid
    The next GPU I buy, I don't want to have to buy one for 5 years. That basically (in my little mind), gives me two choices. I have to wait and see the 6900XT tests.

Of course, if rumors hold, and they release a 3080Ti with 20GB, I'll throw money at that shit.

Junior Potato
    I would guess that that's probably 12 months away, if you take the last gen as an example where the Super models arrived in the halfway point of the 2 year cycle.

But for now you have to battle scalpers anyway, so waiting 12 months probably wouldn't be so hard.

For me, if I was buying a GPU for a build right now, I have already decided that Nvidia is the way to go. Their RT tech is so much better in price-for-price cards, plus DLSS is a killer, allowing MUCH better performance for the small trade-off of a little bit of softness in image quality compared to native resolution. Further, DLSS is a feature that can be improved and updated as time goes on, as it's not fully bound to the hardware you buy.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I'm leaning towards NV as well. Having had 6(?) various cards of theirs over the years.

Can't even remember the first few, but I progressed from 480-680-1080 then 1080ti (why not).

Intel CPUs go way back for me as well. I remember a Q6600 dual-core, it was a beast!

Ah yeah, I was thinking about my old desktops in bed last night (that's how I roll).

- P4-2.6C in old-school Coolermaster ATCS case, the first and only computer I put together myself from start to finish. Originally at home, then moved to work
    - Q6600 (I think) in a Gigabyte case at home
    - E7200 in mini-ATX smaller, Coolermaster or Silverstonetek case at work
    - i7-2600K in a Silverstone Raven RV-02E at home (at work I changed from the E7200 to a Thinkpad W520)
    - i5-6500K in Fractal Design case at work (gave Thinkpad to my wife soon after I got a Thinkpad T470)
    - i7-6700K in another Fractal Design case at home
    - i5-3470 home server that was originally in the Gigabyte case, then shifted to the Raven, then shifted to Fractal Design case

Good times.

Junior Potato
    I’ve had three computers:

i3 laptop
    i7 laptop
    i5 desktop

Needless to say, the i5 has been way way way faster than the laptops.

Also laptops are a fucking ripoff, unless you absolutely have to have one. If you need mobile web browsing or entertainment get a tablet. For gaming get a Switch.