Page 55 of 120 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Get a 1660. The 2060 is not useful as it's first gen RT tech. If it ever becomes widespread it'll take a few years and you'll be better off buying a new card then. You can then sell the 1660 or put it in a backup machine.

Also, welcome to the first step toward joining the PC Master Race.

I have a mini itx and a micro atx. Unless you need more than 4 drive bays or more mobo slots this is absolutely the way to go. My old full atx tower weighed a ton and most of it was empty so it was time to downsize.

Anything like basic 4K or 2K 120/144Hz... you will need an RTX 2060.
    Don't buy a 1660, it's not such a deal if you are building a new PC - the price gap is not so big to justify the 1660.
    Also... let's be realistic and talk about the elephant in the room: not even an RTX 2080 Ti can do decent high framerate 2K or 4K with RT on.
    RT is, right now, an useless gimmick and it will be mainstream playable at high framerates around the 3rd generation of RTX cards: we are way off.

Let's not open the can of worms that PS4 Pro 4k is not real 4k. And Xbox One X can barely run 4k 30fps.
    So get the 1660 only if you are going to be stuck to high framerate 1080p or 2K with compromises.

Junior Potato
    I’ve been playing The Witness on PS4 Pro. It’s got a 4K/30 mode (probably checkerboarded) and a 1440p/60 mode.

I can’t tell the difference between the two. I could sit closer or have a larger TV, but as it is there’s functionally no difference… aside from frame rate and of course I’m using the 60fps mode.

So like I say, any gaming at 4K is purely a bonus. I’ll be more than happy with solid frame rates in the 1440p range. Bear in mind I’m using a TV screen so I’m limited to 60Hz anyway.

Junior Potato
    I priced up more components that I’ll need. The minimum required to build a working PC is $900 with 16GB of RAM and an i5 9400, not including graphics card or storage.

A couple of questions:

Would a 450W power supply do the trick, or do I need something bigger?
    Is 16GB overkill?
    What should I be looking for in regards to part compatibility?

And I’m leaning more towards getting a RTX 2060 and not a 1660Ti. I can get a founders edition from Nvidia for $600. Please explain to me why a 3rd party card from say MSI or EVGA would be superior or inferior to Nvidia’s own card when they’re all in the same $20 price ballpark.

I think 450W is probably OK. 16GB is not overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I priced up more components that I’ll need. The minimum required to build a working PC is $900 with 16GB of RAM and an i5 9400, not including graphics card or storage.

A couple of questions:

Would a 450W power supply do the trick, or do I need something bigger?
    Is 16GB overkill?
    What should I be looking for in regards to part compatibility?

And I’m leaning more towards getting a RTX 2060 and not a 1660Ti. I can get a founders edition from Nvidia for $600. Please explain to me why a 3rd party card from say MSI or EVGA would be superior or inferior to Nvidia’s own card when they’re all in the same $20 price ballpark.
    Founders editions tend to have standard clock speeds and basic coolers but apparently the twin fan coolers on the 20x0 range are pretty good. Other makes may have quieter or better performing coolers and often come with longer warranty and slightly overclocked standard settings.

If your mobo has 4 memory slots then get 2x8GB so that later on you can add another 2 if you wish.

Junior Potato
    It’ll be an ITX board, so there are only two slots.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    Founders editions tend to have standard clock speeds and basic coolers but apparently the twin fan coolers on the 20x0 range are pretty good. Other makes may have quieter or better performing coolers and often come with longer warranty and slightly overclocked standard settings.
    So there’s no amazingly overwhelming reason to go with a 3rd party card.

That’s good then, because I quite like the founders cards; they don’t look like they fell into a cheap discarded parts bin at the Lamborghini factory