Page 57 of 120 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

It’s hard to give advice after you’ve bought the stuff. If you would have asked about mini itx builds before going to the store then it would be nice

3000 vs 3200 isn’t going to make a difference so you’re fine.

Junior Potato
    I did ask, back on page 54.

Also, it’s not too late as I’ve only bought a few things.

Swap the ram man. Surely AUD6 can't even get you half a portion of avocado toast??!! (although it can probably get you a rasher or two of bacon)

Your post on 54 looked it was telling us what you were getting and the only thing you were on the fence with was the graphics card. I don’t 4K game so I don’t have an opinion on that.

I’ll try to post a reasonably priced itx build soon.

3000 vs 3200 is not going to do really any noticeable difference, actually the 3200 could have slightly slower CAS - it is the least cost effective upgrade on any PC build.
    Actually since he is building up an Intel-powered PC he could have even used measly 2400mHz ram if on a tight budget... only Ryzen need, in order to not lose a lot of performance (even up to 40% someone says, but it feels pretty exagerated), at least 3000mHz ram exclusively in dual channel.

EDIT: https://www.eteknix.com/memory-speed...n-performance/

EDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co..._3000_vs_3200/
    As someone noted in the comments in this second link, 3200mHz can also cause problems with motherboards and voltage.
    Last edited by Blerpa; March 24th, 2019 at 05:37 AM.

So here's what I would get...and is very similar to my current build (a Micro Atx because I needed 1 pci slot to transfer my old MiniDV tapes to digital).

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X $180
    ASROCK Fatality B450 Gaming ITX $84
    Team T Force Vulcan DDR4 3000 2x8GB $89
    Cooler Master Elite 130 Case $40
    Cooler Master RM550X gold power supply $89
    Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500GB NVME $115

Choose your video card. I have a RX580 because not a 4K gamer. It was $159.

Now I would build over time and took advantage of rebates and sales via newegg and did it all for a pretty good deal. I think after rebates you could get down to $700-750.
    Last edited by JoeW; March 24th, 2019 at 10:47 AM.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I've tried (and failed) with the "build over time" practice. I just like seeing a pile of boxes show up at the same time (or over a couple days), and putting it all together.

That said, I've spec'd out a couple PCs for a co-worker and my brother in law, and it's given me the itch to build one for myself, but I really have no need. My current PC is only a year old...

Junior Potato
    Just pull yours apart then build it again, or build a really shit one out of cheap parts, or buy $200 worth of Lego and spend 8 hours building that.

Now I have a question to follow up on what Stephen said about CPU bottlenecking in VR.

I've had a cursory search looking at this but all I've found is that i5s are kick-arse bang-for-the-buck gaming CPUs and i7s are almost unnecessary.

I'd love more info on the how and the why. As far as I know the GPU has the biggest impact (and I understand I may be wrong, which is why I am asking), plus if the framerate isn't high enough then I'd just turn down the graphical settings. Right?

Basically I need to know if I really have to spend $400 on an overclockable i5, or over $500 on an i7, or if I can get away with a regular i5 for $280.

Regular.

A good site for all the technical mumbo jumbo is Toms Hardware. They have a section on best gaming cpu for the money, best gpu etc etc.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Just pull yours apart then build it again, or build a really shit one out of cheap parts, or buy $200 worth of Lego and spend 8 hours building that.

Now I have a question to follow up on what Stephen said about CPU bottlenecking in VR.

I've had a cursory search looking at this but all I've found is that i5s are kick-arse bang-for-the-buck gaming CPUs and i7s are almost unnecessary.

I'd love more info on the how and the why. As far as I know the GPU has the biggest impact (and I understand I may be wrong, which is why I am asking), plus if the framerate isn't high enough then I'd just turn down the graphical settings. Right?

Basically I need to know if I really have to spend $400 on an overclockable i5, or over $500 on an i7, or if I can get away with a regular i5 for $280.

Hah. I still have the Lego Saturn V that I got over a year ago, still un-opened. I have roughly 40000 bricks in bins as well....

As I have no real reason to build another one, it is about due for the full breakdown and cleaning routine (I tend to do that every 7-8 months).

#BEER