Page 59 of 120 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

The video and sound issues are most likely just incorrect drivers. So don't waste your time, rather, just install the discrete GPU and get on with it.

Can I suggest getting an audio card (internal or external - latter is better for less interference)? From what I've gathered from forums any decent sound card is better (and less fussy) than even the best integrated audio in the most expensive motherboard out there. That said I dunno if it is anymore like in the past when using a dedicated audio card would recover about 6-10 fps in games (integrated audio being so shitty it ogled part of the whole PC performance).
    Creative (avoid Asus) for a mainstream choice, otherwise Focusrite (Scarlett?) or similar.
    That case looks great!

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    The video and sound issues are most likely just incorrect drivers. So don't waste your time, rather, just install the discrete GPU and get on with it.
    Nope the problem is Chrome itself. I'm narrowing it down, and I remember this from the last time I set up a computer with Chrome. A few years ago you had to disable Pepper Flash in the chromelugins menu, but they've changed it since then and I have to find out the current way fix it. It'll need fixing, because it'll still be shit with a GPU. Hell, my laptop plays 1080/60 YouTube videos and it's five years old. This is a software problem.

Netflix is smooth, although almost all of its content is shot in 24fps so I haven't been able to check its 60fps playback. They do have a series of test pattern videos but the image de-syncs badly with the audio for some reason, whereas Star Trek Discovery is perfect. I downloaded the new Intel graphics control panel drivers and that seemed to fix most problems.

And....... Netflix gives me 5.1 audio. The Windows sound test config menu won't give me 5.1

I have also downloaded a couple of those 4K HDR shop floor demo reels and on the latest version of VLC I get solid 4K/60 HDR with only mild chop in the frame rate. They're great for making TVs look schmick but they only remind me that nobody should shoot cinematic live action content in 60fps anyway!

Junior Potato
    chromelugins?

Code:
    chrome:plugins

Booting first time, nice work What GPUs are you eyeing up or are you going to wait for the first proper ones to be released on 7nm (Vega shrink doesn't count)?

Junior Potato
    Well, unless these new fancy cards appear within the next two months, I’ll be sticking to the plan and looking at a 2060, or a 2070 if there’s a good sale on one when I have the cash available.

Damn this is a good deal...

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ing-desktop-pc

i5 9600k
    ASUS Strix Z390E Mobo
    GTX 1070Ti 8GB
    16GB 3200MHz RAM (good quality G-Skill)
    500GB M.2 NVME (970 Pro)
    Custom watercooling for CPU and GPU
    Win10 Pro

For $1400! DIY it's like $2k. They also have a 9700k/2080 (non-Ti) version. It's identical other than the CPU and GPU, but is $1600 more!

Too bad they won't ship, and I have no Microcenter in FL.

Even though it's still a 1070Ti, not RTX, and "only" an i5, I think it'd be more than enough for me. And if and when I want to get hardcore with 4k or VR, I could upgrade the CPU and/or GPU and still be well under what it would cost to put together something similar DIY.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; April 23rd, 2019 at 06:23 PM.

An i5 is enough to play videogames: to this day an i7 is useless, unless you use your pc for something else heavy than playing.
    The 1070 Ti is good enough to play 2K, possibly up to 120Hz as monitor refresh rates go (or not Ultra setting 4K 60hz).
    RTX is still a pretty useless gimmick (probably 2 to 3 years before it will matter).

You can get all that on Newegg for about the same price and customize what you really want for even better prices. And you get the added benefit of not having to take it to your local micro center store for problems or warranty issues.

Damn, how is Newegg able to do all of that? I always read of outstanding deals and a lot of choices available by this firm. Too bad we don't get it in Europe.