Page 35 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Administrator
    Okay. $240 for an SSD and they can't include the screw? I mean, the package was enormous compared to the size of the drive, there was plenty of room there.

FFS.

Administrator
    Thank you local hardware store. Got a 2mmx4mm screw and we're in business. I still can't believe how tiny this drive is.

Administrator
    Side note - I went to see if I could benchmark how the drive was doing and ended up using UserBenchmark (http://www.userbenchmark.com/). Drive's lookin' good, but it told me that my RAM was slow given my system configuration and offered some possible reasons, two of which turned out to be correct (I had them in the wrong slots for a two DIMM configuration and I hadn't enabled XMP for them in the BIOS). Making those changes saw a significant improvement in RAM speed.

So, I moved, once again. I now live in Bologna.
    In the end of September I left from Siracusa with only my Sony smartphone and an old Samsung 7" tablet... it has been dreadful to not have a PC to use.
    So in December I bought a refurbished HP Elitebook Folio 9470m (i5, 8gb ram, 180gb SSD, GPS, 3G sim slot), the version with the 14" 1600x900 display, amazed how sturdy and solid it feels. Only spent 340 euro for it, with 1 year warranty from the shop I got it.
    It does everything well, although the display viewing angles are not that good and the Intel HD4000 integrated graphic card sucks.

During spring I'll go back to Sicily for a week of holiday and I'll try to get back to Bologna with my desktop PC... meanwhile I did spend 200 euro on Amazon and got myself this: http://eu.aoc.com/en/products/i2769vm
    I'm loving the IPS panel.

EDIT: I was thinking to upgrade the Elitebook ram to 16gb but maybe I'll wait to bring up here my desktop and first upgrade its ram to 16gb, instead.
    Last edited by Blerpa; January 16th, 2018 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    So, I moved, once again. I now live in Bologna.
    Not really related to your post, but I still hope to come visit with you one day. Looks like our next chance to get to Europe for vacation won't be till 2020.

Unless we move there, of course.

Junior Potato
    Hey an old notebook with integrated graphics is still good for playing Richard Burns Rally and GTR2 in 1080p. Half-Life 2 maybe? Its usually on-sale on Steam for $2.50 if you haven’t got it.

It's quite speedy, the only thing holding it back is the graphic card: I've installed Cuphead (but I don't have my joypad here), Motorsport Manager, Steamworld Heist and Diablo 3 (which is almost ok with low setup).
    I've played HL2, Ep2 and Ep3 to death back in the days, so I'll skip those.

Nate, one day we will meet

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Ang, we're planning on an .it trip this summer. I'll keep you posted.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    It's quite speedy, the only thing holding it back is the graphic card: I've installed Cuphead (but I don't have my joypad here), Motorsport Manager, Steamworld Heist and Diablo 3 (which is almost ok with low setup).
    I've played HL2, Ep2 and Ep3 to death back in the days, so I'll skip those.
    You can also try Scribblenauts, Hyper Light Drifter, Shovel Knight and Super Meat Boy

Female Masturbatory Aid
    My Z97 Mobo went tits up on Sunday....

So I thought, ok, I'll just find another 1150 board, so I can re-use my 4790K and 32gb ram...

Oh, how naive of me.

So I buy a Z370. Which is an 1151 Intel, and DDR4. So I buy an 8700K Coffee Lake, and 32GB DDR4.

THEN I find out that Windows 7 doesn't work with that.

So I bought Windows 10. This was all in the span of 2 days. fucking hell.

I also got a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, and a COrsair H1001 Cooler... I guess "cheap fix" wasn't in the cards.

Basically, I built an entirely new machine, minus the spare drives, case and GPU. I ended up not even using the new SSD, I may try to take it back. I've got an 840 in it now. I bought it in case there was a way to save shit on it. $150 "what if".

I've not dicked with Windows 10 enough yet to have a verdict, other than I miss my classic theme immensely.

I've done fuck all with overclocking/etc, probably won't. Maybe that novelty's finally worn off. CPU is 3.7/4.something boost. I may round that up to 4.0 base and call it a day.

I'm just wondering how many of my other programs won't work now.