Page 98 of 120 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Administrator
    And just like that, I tried to pair it again with my newest USB bluetooth adapter and now it works.

I'm happy that basically now everything works. I'm confused as to why it didn't before, and worried it will stop working just as quickly as it started. But, for now, everything's working.

As a little bit of parting weirdness though, I popped the USB adapter into a USB port and apparently you can crash Firefox by doing that.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Apparently, I'm about to be switched over to another company (again), and I will no longer be using the desktop I built specifically for the gig. So I guess I will have my HTPC shortly. Just need to sort out what kind of case I'm going to put it in.

I could go full mental and take a 20 year old AV receiver that doesn't work (and has been in a box for 15 of those years) and gut it out and mount all the shit in it....

Welp, I pulled the trigger on a bunch of shit: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/greatscawt/saved/Tr2QD3

Took about 4 hours to "build" last Wednesday evening. Realized I wanted an M.2 drive and found a nice one for 1TB.

As expected, the upgrade from an old 4 core i5 4690k to the 5900X is just ridiculous. More noticeable than I thought in the games I've tried so far.

Cinebench R23 scores: MC: ~21K, SC: 1642
    Temps with that liquid cooler stay around 66-67 max in Cinebench.
    Tried messing with Ryzen Precision Boost Overdrive and temps hit 77-78C with MC ~22k. Think I'm going to keep that off for now, though.

Just need a graphics card. In queue for an EVGA 3080, but might try to jump in early on the 3080 Ti that is hopefully being announced soon. Assuming it's not TOO crazy a price.

^ very nice upgrade GreatScawt

I finally managed to bag a 5950X a few weeks back which I installed when I had a few days off work. After a little play with the curve optimiser, I'm at negative 13 all core, I've seen it boost over 5Ghz in game on its best cores. GPU situation still dire and the 3080ti at £1049 is a little steep. To think the 1080ti came out at £699 (around £780 in todays money) - bargain of the century!

Holy crap... I might have to upgrade sooner than expected, if this is what is coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8U8tD1_dqE

Junior Potato
    I like how new UE footage still gives me that ‘wow’ feeling that I remember experiencing when I first saw demos for UE3 about 15 years ago. It’s truly next-gen stuff.

The guy in that video says it’s running on a 2080 at 30fps, so looks like it’s really nicely scalable to less powerful systems in the 30xx era. But that’s the whole point of Nanite: to generate per-pixel detail of natural environments at any zoom level without ending at flat textures like we see currently.

I’m not worried about GPUs keeping up… it’s CPUs!

Thank you! And hoo boy a 5950X

I'd like to mess with the curve optimizer eventually, but I gotta work up to it.

Administrator
    I realize this isn't a tech support thread, but since I brought it up here earlier and my google-fu is failing me...

The latest USB bluetooth adapter I got appears to work fine, but *only* if I remove it and plug it back in after the computer has booted. If I just leave it in and start the machine is says it's failing with a driver error, but as soon as I take it out and put it back in it works flawlessly.

Is there some setting I'm missing? This seems like a fundamental design flaw...

Can't think of anything. I had a similar problem with my Xbox one controller (which came with my Rift). It would never sync unless I reset/unplugged the dongle from my PC. Think a BIOS update eventually sorted it out.

Just landed a 3070 XC3 Ultra from the Newegg Shuffle. Time to complete the build!

Edit - also I'm pretty sure that winning, that means there's a bunch more available now.
    Last edited by GreatScawt; June 29th, 2021 at 05:31 PM.