Page 13 of 120 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    I'm a bit pissed. My ten year old compy crapped out finally a year or two ago and i was too impatient to wait for my brother to build me a decent PC to replace it, so went into a shop and bought a new desktop compy. With a tiny case, which means it's near on impossible (?) to upgrade it much.

And the reason i'm pissed about it it entirely the fault of Cities: Skylines. The only PC game i want to play, and my compy can't cope with even the minimum requirements.

Seriously want to play that game ay, it's killing me seeing the constant stream of pics they post up on their Facebook page. I could just unsubscribe, but... i can't.

Wise men say: "Only fools rush in".

Hastes makes waste.

etc.

That was the same reason I wanted to upgrade. My $450 Dell special should be delivered today. I'm excited. I had a good salesperson.

Why not just get a new case? Or. you can cram a LOT into a small space these days.

That's what she said.
    Get that weak shit off my track

A+ for timeliness
    A+ for truth
    ===
    A++

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Save yo cash.
    Thanks. Really. I'm watching delloutlet.com effective immediately. Perhaps I should be staring at the screen and hitting Refresh every thirty seconds, but I'm not quite there yet. But I'm going to buy something here, pretty soon.

That $450 difference between buying right down the street from my new office and getting a slave-labor refurbed Dell will buy me a lot of 88-key MIDI keyboard action, and other stuff, too.

Last question: is it worth paying more to get more than 8GB of RAM initially, or should I buy a 8GB RAM machine and then head over to my local www.microcenter.com store and buy RAM separately to install? I readily confess I don't know much about modern computers, but back when I was a Mac Nerd in the '90s, the rule was always Buy As Much RAM As You Can Afford, and I assume that is still true.

Unless you're working with big files then 16GB isn't necessary. An SSD would give a much bigger overall performance boost.

x2 - RAM is so cheap these days all you can afford would be a crazy amount!