Page 16 of 120 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Fuuuuuuuu. I think Golden1 (my credit union, not the bank I usually use) did that to me once *years* ago and I was so angry I drove to the branch in Davis to yell at someone. Random may have heard that, I was loud.

Edit: It wasn't the same thing, just similar - new card with a new PIN. So the Visa part of my old card was valid, but there was no way to use it to get cash and there was nothing they could do until the new card arrived. Fucking embarrassing. No idea how things like this make it out into the real world.

Edit 2: You have til 10a CST to figure it out *for sure*, but I am 99% sure they will hold your order for a full 24 hours regardless. If you want to risk it, tell them you're over it and you're thinking about cancelling the purchase altogether. They might knock $50 or $100 off. Heh. I mean, as long as you have to be on the phone anyway.

I could use a $50 or $100 bill, now that you mention it...you know, to light my cigars.

Well, I'm sure this will all work out fine in the morning, but it was fun to yell at clouds by posting about it here. I think you fellas just might say, for once, that I did things right...assuming I can grab this same deal or a similar one.

I too took advantage of the 35% off today -

W0CK4 1 Base,INSPIRON DESKTOP,3250
    05D54 1 Module,Dual In-Line Memory Module,8GB,1X8G,1600,DDR3L
    MFH16 1 Module,Card,Network,1707,Chicony Corp,Desktop,World Wide
    01W11 1 Module,Dvd+/-Rw,8X,Hitachi Lg Data Storage,BARE,Across Line Of Business
    T00PH 1 Module,Information,Graphics,Integrated
    01CKY 1 Service Install Module,Software,DW1703/4,5320
    H8D74 1 Module,Processor,SKL,I5-6400
    HH5NK 1 Module,Hard Drive,1T,S3,7.2K,512E,GRDABP2
    PYC0K 1 MOD,SW,W10,EDITION,HOME
    CU031 1 Module,Mouse,2BTN,Optical Black,Logitech,DI
    01D46 1 Module,Keyboard,104,United States,KB212B,W8,Ship In Box

Subtotal: $350.35
    Shipping and Handling: $0.00

Sales Tax: $28.00
    Total: $378.35

TL;DR: Slim desktop with an i5-6400, 8gb RAM, 1tb HDD, integrated graphics, DVDRW, keyboard & mouse, Win 10 Home.

I picked it up for the would-be MIL to replace the computer I gave her in - I think - 2010, but maybe 2011. It's an Athlon XP 5600+. Remarkably not bad running Windows 7, but way past its prime. I was going to put something together with stuff I have laying around, but this will be smaller and quieter than anything I could build, and it should remain more relevant for more time.... so I can get another 5 years out of it.

I don't understand why these companies push out DDR ram in single sticks?

Seems like you waited too long George.

Considering that Credit Cards expire every 4 years, it seems you hit that small 3-4 window between sending/receiving mail. I thought they stayed active until you activated the new card though. I know I've used my old card for days until I called to activate teh new one. But I don't remember making any online purchases... just in person.

Also, this line is golden. You should leave the typo.
    "Abandon all hope, ye who enter her"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    I don't understand why these companies push out DDR ram in single sticks?
    You mean vs. dual channeling it?

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    You mean vs. dual channeling it?
    Yeah, it works far, far better in dual channel mode. 2x4GB would be a much better option.

Interesting article about it here which says, basically, for normal day to day use, it doesn't matter. Which is interesting in itself.
    Last edited by Alan P; August 4th, 2016 at 03:05 PM.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. It's a 1%er thing.

In this particular case, the SFF chassis machines only have two DIMM slots, so it's really nice they do 1x DIMM, leaving you with an option for expansion. Doing 2x4gb would mean having to scrap it all and start over. I am pretty sure in the full towers they usually do dual channel, leaving you two slots for dual channel expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    You should leave the typo.
    Heh. I saw that after I posted it and thought, nah, just leave it. Someone will crack a smile.

Well, I dunno what's going on with my order. I used the Dell chat this morning while on hold on the phone. Chat "answered" first and told me in very casual terms...meaning no confirmation numbers or anything...that everything is fine and they'll email me a confirmation. This was about 8:30 AM.

Mid-afternoon, I still hadn't received an email, so I called and got an even more casual answer. The guy said something like, "don't worry, it's been taken care of", and that was about all I could out of him. Again, no confirmation number or case number or anything I could refer back to. I thought maybe Dell has moved their call center from India to Jamaica from the "just be happy, mon!" vibes I got from that guy.

Now it's 9:30 at night and I still have no email updates or "your order has shipped" confirmations or anything like that. And, normally I wouldn't want to micro-manage this deal, but since my card was declined the first time, I'd kinda like to know if that was resolved or not, ya know? Nobody asked me for my "new" expiration date today, now that I think of it.

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait and see if I bought a computer or not.
    Last edited by George; August 4th, 2016 at 07:35 PM.

Has your card been billed?