Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by GreatScawt View Post
    tsg, there is a Microcenter in Philly, which is roughly 1.5 hours away. I may have to make an excuse to get down there. I didn't realize one was so close.
    There's a MicroCenter 5 minutes from where I live. You should visit.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    I will know at 1:30 PM, when the Battlefront trailer comes out, how much I want to invest. Maybe at that point this thread will become very important to me.
    No console consideration?

Well yeah, but if it's OMGTHISISTHEMOSTAMAZINGTHINGEVER then I'll go whole hog on it. (the trailer released, it wasn't)
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Or you could save the 1.5 hours drive and get one for USD289.99 off the Egg: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...eals,4106.html (which is where I got that Z97 board from).

But seriously, just wait for Skylake.
    I like the idea of a moderate over lock on an i5. Check this out. That discount is pretty ridic for two parts.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.2297105

So what's the deal with Skylake? Any word on release and price? Specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    I will know at 1:30 PM, when the Battlefront trailer comes out, how much I want to invest. Maybe at that point this thread will become very important to me.

That's how it goes...

I had myself convinced the price = lasting quality to choose that mobo. But its good to keep that in check. I've never even seen that Z97-E board. Good deal. I may make an upper mid-tier PC using Devil's Canyon i5 and a 970. I can splurge on case, PSU, and HDD and probably the cooler for a transplant build eventually. It will still be good for everything else I need to do and run games at 1080p.

tsg, there is a Microcenter in Philly, which is roughly 1.5 hours away. I may have to make an excuse to get down there. I didn't realize one was so close.
    IIRC Microcenter typically offers a big discount on a board if you purchase a CPU, so there could be more money on the table here for you. Or, if you have some time to kill waltz into a Staples and ask them to price match Microcenter. It works as often as not - I got my i5 that way, and Microcenter is over 400 miles from here.

I like the idea of a moderate over lock on an i5. Check this out. That discount is pretty ridic for two parts.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.2297105

So what's the deal with Skylake? Any word on release and price? Specs?
    Release date later this year, most likely Q3. Price should be similar. Specs should be better.

Really man, the 4xxx CPU core (though not the 4690) came out in Q3 2013. Why not wait 5 more months and get stuff which is 2 generations ahead?

I should point out that I've also had WD Blacks fail on me. So like TSG has said, expect all mechanical drives to fail.

I couldn't help myself.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/L8mR8d

Thanks to all the critiques and recommendations plus a string of fantastic deals a couple weekends ago, I pulled the trigger. Instead of the 970 I went 980 FTW... the friggin thing was $490 shipped. Screaming deal. I still have $80 in rebates that I need to submit now (now that the thing is built and everything works).

No mechanical secondary, but the 500 gig SSD will do just fine for my needs now. I actually picked up a 2 TB external for backing up my laptop. I'd like to reformat that and bring it back to it's former glory as a fast internet-surfer.

Such a fun project... between researching compatibility and pricing and then the process of building, wiring, cable management, and setting it up properly, it was all very satisfying. It looks nice, to boot!

I haven't done any overclocking, but it's running everything really well. Depending on settings (rain + night time lighting has a big affect), Project CARS was seeing 60-70+ FPS during the day, dry with a field of 35 AI cars.
    Last edited by GreatScawt; May 10th, 2015 at 09:26 PM.

Nice one mate, I'm well-jel (jeal?). My OCed 2600K is still chugging away but I think I fried something recently as the MB now can't detect my USB keyboard on-boot, although it's fine when you're in Windows. That might slightly restrict my re-purposing it in the future, although I'm not actually sure what to do with it once it's been replaced with a Skylake machine.