Page 26 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

My computer is OLD and I'm getting the new computer bug.

Anyone built a Ryzen rig?

For gaming? I'd stick with Intel. Ryzen is quite good for multithreading, but Kaby Lake still holds the crown for single-thread performance. An OC'd i5-7600k is a mean CPU. If not so much gaming but general computer usage, maybe Ryzen.

My gaming pc died right in time for Forza7. Not impressed.

How old is old? I've got a bit of an itch to modernize too, maybe with luck by the end of the year. I built this mid-range system in 2010, don't think I've upgraded it at all. The funny part is my phone has more RAM than my 'gaming' desktop!

This thread is titled "Someone stop me" but has from the start been basically "LET'S DO THIS GUYZ".

Does anyone sell Alienware level stuff without the ridiculous looking casings? Yes, I know I can build my own blah blah but my semester starts Monday and I won't have time for that mess until May. Thinking about buying myself a new gaming rig for Christmas. Fairly certain my motherboard died on the machine I bought in 2010.

I'm leaning toward just getting an Alienware 17 and moving away from desktop altogether. Just worried about future proofing for 4k/VR and the ability to run triple monitors. I know Alienware/Dell has the ability to run external video cards but I have no idea how that works.

Administrator
    Heh, I don't know much outside of building my own, but I figured I'd do a search for gaming desktops. Those Alienware ones look positively sedate compared to all the others that come up in a search at Best Buy.

FWIW, building your own has gotten easier and easier over time. The cases and power supplies are more modular than ever, you need fewer expansion cards than ever. My latest upgrade was a breeze to put together.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; August 16th, 2017 at 07:37 AM.

It probably sounds stupid but my biggest hurdle to building my own is the mental block I have against paying retail for Windows.