Page 36 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by DelSolMan View Post
    Apparently has 'realistic pricing' so your graphics card charges go up by 10% week on week and RAM doubles in price every six months!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    My Z97 Mobo went tits up on Sunday....

So I thought, ok, I'll just find another 1150 board, so I can re-use my 4790K and 32gb ram...

Oh, how naive of me.

So I buy a Z370. Which is an 1151 Intel, and DDR4. So I buy an 8700K Coffee Lake, and 32GB DDR4.

THEN I find out that Windows 7 doesn't work with that.

So I bought Windows 10. This was all in the span of 2 days. fucking hell.

I also got a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, and a COrsair H1001 Cooler... I guess "cheap fix" wasn't in the cards.

Basically, I built an entirely new machine, minus the spare drives, case and GPU. I ended up not even using the new SSD, I may try to take it back. I've got an 840 in it now. I bought it in case there was a way to save shit on it. $150 "what if".

I've not dicked with Windows 10 enough yet to have a verdict, other than I miss my classic theme immensely.

I've done fuck all with overclocking/etc, probably won't. Maybe that novelty's finally worn off. CPU is 3.7/4.something boost. I may round that up to 4.0 base and call it a day.

I'm just wondering how many of my other programs won't work now.
    This is almost exactly what happened to me when I bought the Oculus Rift, only I also bought a new GPU.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I got a 1080 about 5-6 months ago....I was tempted to get a ti, but that was just silly.

Junior Potato
    That's only a few % improvement for many hundreds of $.

But it would go well with the i7.

Though if you had that combo, you'd be small-dickin it without an M.2 drive and RGB lighting and DDR5 and custom hardline water cooling.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Thought about an M.2 drive.

Fuck RGB lighting - I've got all lights off on mine
    and
    Fuck DDR5
    and
    Fuck custom hardline water cooling.

The only "problem" I have now, is having an i7 4790k, 32GB of DDR3 RAM, and nothing to do with it. Suppose there's craiglist. Maybe I can get a handy out of the trade.

Junior Potato
    Do you also have a surplus of crab meat in your fridge and a miniature train set?

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Real crab meat and Lego. Close enough.

Junior Potato
    There’s news around the campfire that states that Intel will release its own line of GPUs in 2020. Now, I thought that Intel bought into nVidia right around the time when AMD bought out ATI, thus creating a mighty fine CPU-GPU duopoly. Seems that’s not the case and Intel wants to go play in the sandpit.

Intel has been cruising a bit in the last few years, while AMD’s professor line has not really given Intel a reason to try harder, and with Ryzen on the market, all Intel has to do is release a new processor generation with just a bit more speed at a more competitive price and they’re magically on top again. It seems like they’ve got a lot in reserve for the moment in the CPU market, so where will this lead in terms of GPU development?

I’m thinking that they will come out swinging in the workstation GPU segment, and follow soon after with a decent range of gaming GPUs, but nVidia will quickly respond and lead us into a nice arms race for the next five years. We will have an affordable GTX1380 by then. Hopefully. Let’s see, huh?

I imagine cryptomining has something to do with this. Gaming PCs are no longer driving that segment.