Page 39 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Junior Potato
    That’s with RTX on. Keep in mind it’s the first time we’ve had this. Of course implementing this will create a performance hit.

I’ve seen a few very clickbaity YouTube videos highlighting the controversy (which I haven’t watched). Are these people upset that they’re not getting stable 4K/60 with RTX on, or is it because the potential for pure performance gains with RTX off over the last gen has made some compromise because RTX has been added to the hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    That’s with RTX on. Keep in mind it’s the first time we’ve had this. Of course implementing this will create a performance hit.

I’ve seen a few very clickbaity YouTube videos highlighting the controversy (which I haven’t watched). Are these people upset that they’re not getting stable 4K/60 with RTX on, or is it because the potential for pure performance gains with RTX off over the last gen has made some compromise because RTX has been added to the hardware?
    I think they are, understandably, concerned at Nvidia's boastful hype of these new cards' performance in general.
    Last edited by Blerpa; August 27th, 2018 at 11:22 AM.

Administrator
    It's also one of the first titles to implement RTX, so presumably it's not as optimized as later titles will be.

Then again, it almost seems like the general consensus is that RTX causes a significant performance hit for Tomb Raider while simultaneously not really making it look much better. The Battlefield demo was definitely more impressive on that front.

Junior Potato
    I wonder what tricks they have under the hood for RTX. There is a new metric for giga rays per second (the 2070 can do 6, while the 1080Ti can do 1.21) so I wonder if there is any sharpening of the end result when using less rays, or some sort of voxel-like implementation. As noted, we are in early days for real-time ray tracing and as a result we will be seeing some novel tricks that are focused on getting more performance per frame that just isn’t required when using ray tracing in the traditional sense, such as when rendering frames for feature films that can take hours to process.

Junior Potato
    Here’s a nice video with some really good insight into the development of BFV from the engineers at DICE.

Based on what I’ve seen here, I don’t think there’s any question that a 2080Ti will be able to run this game at a stable 4K/60 within a few weeks of launch, when optimisations and drivers and updates are sorted out.

Administrator
    For non-RTX titles, the official word from nvidia is that the 20xx cards offer a 35-45% performance boost over the comparable 10xx cards for traditional 3D applications (e.g., 1070->2070, 1080Ti->2080Ti).

Have to see how RTX pans out. I've got a 1080 now and try to buy once every couple generations, not each generation. Raytracing had me rethinking that, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost for a ~40% boost, especially when everything I play right now is running really nicely at 4k.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I'm thinking (not too seriously) about offing my 1080 and getting THAT card (the one you shouldn't have to upgrade for a few years).

I had a 680 for 5 years, got the 1080 2 years ago.

Brian, do you play Far Cry 5? I just grabbed the DLCs, my machine doesn't like 4k for that one. Assassin's Creed, runs 4k all day. But FC5 turns into a slide show. Hopefully Odyssey is similar to Origins, since I just pre-ordered it...

I thought games running like crap on PCs was Ubisoft's thing.

Administrator
    Haven't played FC5, but I also tend not to play the newest/most graphically intensive stuff.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Assassin's Creed runs fine at 4k. It just seems to be FC5.

I think I'm just looking for an excuse to spend/waste money on some new shit....