Page 4 of 120 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Brand whore nerd.

*puts on his Sony headphones to listen podcasts from his Sony phone, can't find his Sony micro to USB memory stick that he uses to copy files to his Sony laptop or plug into his Sony Blu Ray player which is plugged into his Sony receiver that powers his Sony speakers*

*Google Now on Google Chrome reminds him of a task he has to do based on a Google Calendar event created from a GMail message, accesses Google Drive on his Android phone to get the address and then enters it into Google Maps, screencaps the directions and uploads them to Google+ so he can share it in Google Hangouts*
    Get that weak shit off my track

The loyalty is real. Sometimes brand whoring just feels right.

Also also, DirectX 12.... THAT should be the queen's tits.

YES. Been waiting forever to replace my 920. FOREVER.

MS is on the up, no ifs or buts about it.

Having used most of the ecosystems I am most comfortable with Microsoft's - the WP -> Xbox -> Win8 -> Office365 is the smoothest experience to be had IMHO. Google's works as well, but getting things in & out is a pain, everything you do is tracked and monetized, and whereas I "need" my Xbox and Outlook, Google has nothing to offer than I need. I think MS's big breakdown is on the consumer end, because Hotmail was awful and Outlook.com is very late to the party. If I didn't have my own domain and/or my own mail server, I might find MS's products to be less good - but as I work, it's by far and away the best fit. Apple's situation is a damned disaster area - although iTunes is still a beast, I don't want anything to do with it. I can definitely envision a scenario where it'd be worth the sacrifice, eg there are a lot of very good legal-related apps that just don't exist anywhere else, so getting involved in iPad/iPhone ecosystem makes sense for people I work with, even at the cost of poor interaction with other systems that are needed... like you can only manage iPhones with a Mac, and the only useful way to get data into those aforementioned apps is via Dropbox. If I could get those iOS apps in a WP version, everyone here would be using WP *tomorrow*. Each night I say a little prayer that Windows 10 will be lean enough and phone hardware will improve enough that we can run native Windows apps on phones. Surface meets about 75% of the challenge, though - I could happily live with cell phones being limited to simple phone & email devices. Maybe I will add a prayer that the 940 is a damned killer and sells itself.

If you asked me circa Y2K about my enthusiasm level with Microsoft it would have been pretty poor, but I think the Win7+ days have been overall quite good.

Didn't know you were a WP guy, tsg. Yeah, we'll see how WP10 is handled. I recall reading that they want WP10 to basically be Win10, which is a great step towards native Windows apps on phones. But I still feel that's a ways off.

I've been rocking my 1020 but I'm due for an upgrade now. If the 940 is true, I will jump on that in a heartbeat (barring reviews, but even then, I trust it'll do well). There's a parallel rumor of a 1540 or a 940XL "phablet".

Ugh, want.

Yeah, I'm actually on my second Windows phone. I went from Blackberry to a Dell Streak to Windows Phone. It's very depressing now and again, having to ask my girlfriend for her phone to program WeMo devices would be a good example of that. But using the phone is such a pleasure I quickly forget about the app stuff it can't do. My phone is so old at this point I think I'm coming up on a second contract renewal interval, but there just hasn't been a WP replacement to justify actually buying. The 1020 almost got my money, but I kept analyzing it and by the time I decided to do it even the 1020 was long in the tooth and I figured I'd wait some more. That was nearly two years ago. Now I'll probably end up waiting until 2016 to be sure the next generation product is fully released and established.

My wife, although not exactly a major techie, is of a similar opinion. She's still soldiering on with her HTC 8X and sees no reason to replace it. She's not an app/social media maven and is unconcerned about the stuff that most tech bloggers blow up into BIGGEST ISSUE EVER. The interface is stunning, smooth, and the phone works well.

There's no arguing the fact that people love apps. Personally, I don't get it. I don't want stupid apps, because I don't want to have to remember what works where. I want to use the web page, like I do on my desktop, my laptop, and my Venue tablet. The only apps I have on my phone are for things that simply can't be done via the web - Amazon's UPC scanner, Wells Fargo's check deposit app, and... I think there is some reason I have the Fandango app. Just like in 2006, what I want is the phone that has the best web browser because that's how I like to work. And I don't do any social media ever - in fact one thing that drove me away from the Streak initially was Google always wanting to know what I was up to so it could share it with the world. You know what Windows Phone never does? Give a shit about what I'm doing.

And the Exchange/ActiveSync integration is, not surprisingly, the best. It's worth its weight in gold to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Perfect thing for playing Duke Nukem 3D.
    Oh, man, now THAT was a fun game, especially when the user-created maps started showing up to download.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    I came here to kick ass and check gum, and I'm all out of gum!
    You guys remember what was playing on all the TVs in the game, right?