Page 46 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

I don't think iRacing is very demanding even in VR?

I'm thinking about building a new PC sometime soon. Currently still rocking the PC I built in 2010 (11?). It holds up well considering. i7-2700k, 16GB DDR3, EVGA 770 4GB (my only upgrade, from the 570 I originally built it with). But I'd like to get into VR/UltraWide and/or 4K stuff, so I'm thinking maybe do it a little at a time. New MoBo, Processor and RAM (and maybe AOI water cooler?) and going to M.2 boot drive, while keeping the 770, case, multiple SSD's and HDDs, and PSU (850W, should be good until it dies) for now, and going 20xx route later once prices start to come down (if ever).

To be fair to Ang when I scanned the specs on that machine I posted I thought it had a 1080.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    To be fair to Ang when I scanned the specs on that machine I posted I thought it had a 1080.
    It's ok, I mean, we are used to brands and stores exaggerating on products' capabilities, aren't we?

FaF, wait for second series of the new 20xx cards... so far they are not that great (yes, they are the fastest on the market), Ray-tracing on almost slows them to a crawl and they are experiencing various issues (overheating, ram problems and so on).

Yeah, ray tracing is 'neat' in BFV (by the way, a new patch apparently greatly improves performance), but it will be awesome when it makes its way to sims.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Thanks for thinking of me. I don’t think that’s the one for me but I appreciate the opportunity.

I think I have determined that a 1060 6GB with two fans will fit in our current machine and wouldn’t need a new power supply.

Currently considering that vs. a whole new PC.

I know what I’d like to do, if I wasn’t concerned with cost and not setting future expectations too high - buy both!

Was this one, right?

Processor: Intel Core 6th Generation i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB GDDR3
    Windows 10 Pro
    16X DVD + RW Drive
    16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC
    2 TB 3.5-inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

A 1060GB 6GB would be fine. If you could put a 120 or 180GB SSD in there (obviously it would take a Windows new install) along with the 2TB for games and media storage... well, it would fly! Cheap SSD can be had for 40 dollars... Crucial, Sandisk, Kingston, Drevo, ecc.

Administrator
    Agreed, given what's in that system, a good video card and an SSD (or two) would make it a serious gaming machine. I kinda like a really quick but small SSD for Windows, then a larger but not quite top of the line for games, then a spinning disk for things like docs, pictures, music, video, etc. Even half-terabyte 860 Evos don't cost all that much money these days.

This video just came up in my feed, could be useful.

I will have to reinstall Windows? This is news to me. I’m probably going to Microcenter today, so I’ll ask them, but I figured new hardware was plug-and-play these days.

Edit: oh, The OS goes on the SSD. I get it now...

(No experience with SSDs)
    Last edited by George; December 16th, 2018 at 12:14 PM.

I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to purchase windows again. I bought a retail version of 7 Pro, which I upgraded to 10 during the free upgrade.

It seems clear you can transfer your license of a retail version of windows to a new build, but there seems to be conflicting answers out there about if you have a Win10 Upgrade.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; December 16th, 2018 at 01:38 PM.