Page 51 of 120 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Administrator
    I never ran any formal tests, but I thought the loading speed for most things improved significantly when moving my games from an HDD to an SSD. It doesn't change that much when playing a game that's designed to load on the fly (think GTA5 or what have you), as those were designed to work fine with a spinning disk, but initial load times and any game not designed to work like that will benefit.

One of my favorite things these days is loading up older games that used to give you hints/tips/story bits in the loading screen, now they load so damn fast you don't get a chance to read them.

Of course it will help. Just depends how much by.

Junior Potato
    Blerp here’s a pretty good look into the subject for you.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...pc-gaming-7005

And this one will tell you what to buy, if you choose to go down that path.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ming-2019-7012

Thanks RWA, really appreciated the links!
    So here it is the deal:
    The cpu fan on my A8 is giving way, to the point it halted completely.
    I looked into cheap new parts (Ryzen 2600X, B-450, 16GB DDR4 3000mhz and a new case) but it was over 400 euro and too much, so I looked into the used aftermarket.
    Got an i5 4670k with Noctua Ultra cpu fan (overclocked), Z-87K motherboard and 16GB DDR3 HyperX Fury 1866 CL10 (overclocked at 2166 I think) for 180 euro. Bought two SSD: a Crucial MX500 250GB for the OS and a Crucial MX500 500GB for games, also got a cheap Sharkoon case.
    I've the PC used parts, I've my own videocard, soundcard, PSU and the 250GB new SSD (the 500GB is arriving on thursday) but still waiting the case to arrive this afternoon or tomorrow... MEH!
    Can't build it, sucks to have to wait.
    Hopefully I won't do a mess, it will be my first overclocked system: I dunno if it would be better to clock down all the stuff to be safe.

Oh, I forgot, I was thinking to download Win 10 from Microsoft media tool program and then, when everything is set, installed and working, buy a legit license over Amazon for peanuts.

photo_2019-01-28_11-40-03.jpg

How do you get Windows for peanuts over Amazon? The cheapest Win10 licence I can see there is over USD100.

I’m late to your pc party but I wanted to point out that yes, load and install times will be slightly better with SSD but you are still limited by the transfer speed of the interface. A 6gb/s interface is basically the bottleneck for most modern HDD and SSD. Read/write transfer speeds on large files will be nearly the same because they can’t go any faster than the interface.

I did a similar build to what you wanted (B450, 2600X etc) but I used a NVME SSD and let me tell you the difference in all functions is staggering. I highly recommend it. Boot time from pressing the power button to the windows 10 home screen is around 5-7secs. I reach over and press the button, pull my chair up, grab the mouse and it’s already to go. Literally that fast.

You will like the SSD but honestly you won’t be shocked or awed by it. Any program requiring quick access to lots of small files will definitely benefit from an SSD. But it’s the access time that is better not the actual transfer speed.

When you move up, get an nvme drive and you will really be surprised.
    Last edited by JoeW; January 28th, 2019 at 04:25 AM.

ESD packs digital license keys at around 10 euro. Also on Instant Gaming site.
    EDIT: JoeW I've already a 240GB Kingston SSD on my A8 desktop... really changed my PC when I installed Win 10 on that new SSD compared to the old mechanical 480GB one where Acer installed all the stuff originally, I know the difference SSD makes and that is major only in OS use.

I'll look into NVME for the next PC, now, if this i5 works, I can wait a bit longer and maybe spend more for a new PCs in few years in the future.
    Last edited by Blerpa; January 28th, 2019 at 04:27 AM.

Yeah if you had an old hdd then it would make a good difference but most of the modern larger hdd drives have gotten pretty quick. Quick enough to exceed the 6gb/s bottleneck.

So definitely upgrade what you can. SSD makes good sense...durable as fuck, light, quick, no heat, and low power consumption. No brainer.

Junior Potato
    Glad I could be off assistance

As for the overclocking stuff, I’ve not got a whole lot of interest in it, and if it was me I’d be looking at returning it to stock. But you never know, it might run just fine.

Thanks a lot for the insight.
    Yes, I will start it and see if it works, then I may be looking to put everything standard, RAM as well.
    Afterall it is used stuff and I want it to last as long as possible.
    Still waiting the damn case! LOL