Page 56 of 120 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody stop me... (Gaming PC Build Thread)

Junior Potato
    Yeh good luck trying to run BFV at 1080/60 with RT on a 1080!

I see two possibilities here. Either the uptake of RTX from both consumers and developers is way lower than anticipated, or Nvidia wants to give more people a sneak preview of what the tech looks like, thus enticing them to buy an RTX card.

Either way, I think it’s a good thing that it’ll be available to more people. If there are more developers working with it then we are more likely to see innovation, and also more likely to see decent performance gains through smarter implementation.

I think it's the latter, and I think that Nvidia are saying themselves that it's like an RTX preview thing. They want people to give it a try, get hooked, and go get a newer card.

Junior Potato
    But they’re still releasing new GTX cards like the two 1660 varieties.

*thinking emoji*

They’ll probably have a 1650 for sale by the end of April.

New add to the PC, finally I can type less loudly and with less need for light during the night: Logitech K800 Illuminated Wireless keyboard.

Junior Potato
    I went shopping today. $620 thrown at the nice man at the computer store.

(Not pictured: PSU, which is on backorder)

Now they’ll sit painfully in a cupboard until I get some more parts. Could be a few weeks

And I’ve got to resist the temptation to muck with them until I can build the whole thing. Yeah I opened them and had a look, but I put them back in their packaging for now…

God, that's salivating!!! Get on with the program, RWA!!! (So, LGA 1151, Intel, uh? i5 or i7?)

Almost forgot, got a big Kallax shelf from Ikea and fixed the messed up PC area (I've yet to think what to put in those shelves now):

RWA - If you're building this for VR racing games I'd suggest you want something faster than a i5 9400. It's very easy to become CPU bottlenecked in VR. Especially when talking about games that weren't built from the ground up for VR. And there is no point buying a motherboard with a Z390 chipset which supports over clocking and then buying a CPU which you can't. I'd suggest the i5 9600K or 9600KF if you find one significantly cheaper - the KF does without the integrated graphics.

RTX2060 is the pick of the bunch value for money wise from the RTX series. A solid choice for VR in my view although if you can go higher you'll be able to crank up the super sampling which can definitely help with image quality in VR.

450W PSU, if it's a good one, will have just enough for a 9600K (120-180W depending on overclock), RTX2060 (170W) and anciliearies. Just bear in mind that most PSUs operate at max efficiency at around 50-60% of their maximun load. Hopefully that G.Skill RAM you've bought is the good stuff, 3200Mhz+

Enjoy!

Junior Potato
    ^ That’s the sort of advice I need!

I went with a 600w PSU, so there’s no issue there. And the motherboard choice was given to me by the guy st the shop. It is reasonably priced and it has WiFi.

Over clocking may be something down the road for me but right now I’m staying conservative so it’s off the table. I’m aiming for an i5 9400 mostly because an i7 is almost twice the price and would end up being the most expensive component, plus an unlocked i5 is pricey too. $279 vs $409. There doesn’t seem to be any price advantage on a KF either. They’re more expensive!

But, I haven’t bought a chip yet so we will see.

The guy sold me the 3000MHz RAM, the 3200 is only $6 more expensive. n00b life. Surely it’s close enough, or should I swap it?