Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GT Academy 2015, 21st April - 16th June

GT Academy 2015, 21st April - 16th June

Four rounds of two weeks each, as last year I think

(screengrab from GTPlanet - https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-academy-...sday-april-21/)

I'll probably put a bit more effort into them than the regular seasonals, but nothing serious - I've no illusions of being that good. Looking forward to it though!

Anyone here aiming to make a serious tilt at it?

I am going to give it a go......just for fun though.

Well, this year the race camp is in Dubai, so I won't be able to come and support you if you get through, unlike when Bryan won it.

First round is open.

Unlike in the past, it appears that you have to bronze each round to continue, so don't think you can dust off your PS3 in June and enter then, you'll need to turn a time within the next two weeks.

First round is R35 Nismo at Silverstone, so a familiar circuit from past GT Academies. Seems to understeer a lot on turn-in, but once you get the nose into the corner it can put the power down without washing out.

2'09.200 so far, about 4s off a 'good' time. Gold is 2'11 for 500k credits.

Junior Potato
    I golded it after a few laps. About the same pace as you, samoht.

I say "a few laps" because I was on a good time for about ten laps but threw it away each lap because the GT-R is an understeery heap of shit (car journos call it stability).

But then GT6 had trouble with connecting to the ranking server so my time shows up as 2:11.5

Despite the natural tendency of this "sports car" to be "stable" it's fun to try over come it's lack of line-finding ability by learning the track and where the good turn-in points are for each turn. Sometimes it's how fast I can get into this or that apex without running wide at the exit.

I am about .2 behind you guys. The car just won't will not stay in the corners

Junior Potato
    If you breathe on the brake while the wheels are turned, she'll just plough right on like a John Deere.

Same goes if you breathe on the throttle before a tight apex. So you can't brake too early then compensate by speeding up slightly before apex.

Get it slowed, then get off the pedal, then steer.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    After half an hour to 45 mins, and NO clean laps (each one was DQ lap) i finally set a valid time. Which just happened to be slighter quicker than the gold time.

I was just planning on giving up and accepting whatever lap time i ended up with, so the gold was a complete surprise, especially since i only ever did one lap in the 2'11's (DQ time) and no 2'12 laps AFAIK.

I must be out of practice, or just suck at GT in my old age.

The Silverstone round was quite strange, in that sometimes the car would turn in nicely, and other times it would plough wide, and it wasn't obvious what you were doing differently.

The Brands Hatch round that just opened today seems a lot more fun, at least with a wheel.

Got down to 1'25.567 at Brands - this car is ace with TCS 1 and with a wheel, it just drives like a proper FR sports car should, chuck it in, trail brake to the apex, ease onto the power, gentle drift through and out. So sweet. If you've been frustrated by Round 1, don't let that put you off Round 2, it feels like a totally different videogame!