Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: George's Garage

I will say that driving across Texas on a clear night with the top down was awesome. You could see the Milky Way while driving provided nobody was coming the other direction.

Tire experts, does this nail in my tire look fixable? It is close to the edge.

Found it this morning before work after noticing a TPMS light. At the tire store now waiting for my turn but the guy who inspected it said they won’t know for sure until they attempt the repair.

Suddenly I’m remembering stories from others with AWD vehicles saying they bought four new tires after tire store salesmen told them it’s not safe to replace just one.

Wondered if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing. Thanks.
    Last edited by George; January 10th, 2020 at 08:21 AM.

I am not a tire tech, but that looks far enough into the tread to be pluggable. But you're right, it's close.

The article I got this illustration from seems to imply it won't be repairable:

https://www.sullivantire.com/learn/t...er-tire-repair

My previous professional recommendation is to not plug it.

Thanks gents. Always nice to have a second and third opinion. Turns out those weren't new tires as the car dealer said when I bought it. A car dealer lying? What a shock! They looked new, and even smelled new in the garage at home, but it was probably the gallon of Armor-All on each one at the time. But that is consistent with other details of the car's history - relatively low mileage and great condition for its age due to having been kept at a vacation home up in the mountains. That checked out when I got the title with the previous owner's address.

My tires had 80% tread left, according to the tire guy, but they were old and are now discontinued, so I couldn't just buy one tire to match the other three. And he said it wouldn't be safe to plug that tire, which wasn't a huge surprise. I've had a few tires plugged in the past. So, for the second time in three months, I unexpectedly bought a set of tires. Strange how life works sometimes, but I'm finally at a point in life where I'm not driving an old car on mismatched tires, so I won't complain.
    Last edited by George; January 10th, 2020 at 08:21 AM.

Not trying to be a jag, just giving you some information for life:

This is coming from a guy that bought two different collector cars that turned out to have ancient tires on them. One of which I took to the track and managed to form cracks around the tire inside the tread lines.

Thanks. I knew tires had date codes on them but hadn't taken the time to look for them or learn how to read them.