Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: George's Garage

Honestly, the thought of buying a PT Cruiser never entered my mind. Now, a HHR panel-wagon is another story, just because they look so retro-cool, but I think my kids would insist on being able to see out from the back seat.

If I were a single guy and/or didn't have kids, my choice of cars would be so much different, like this Camry, for example:

Classic-Collector Toyota/2.0-EFI-Rebuilt.Runs GR8.Senior Owned.5 spd. - $2500

That's got to be some hip senior to say it runs GR8!

1991 Honda Accord Wagon Ex 5 speed Rare! - $2950

Last edited by George; April 20th, 2015 at 01:31 PM.

2007 Subaru Legacy Outback 5 speed Wagon - $6800

"Excellent condition, 5speed manual transmission. New headgaskets, timingbelt, waterpump, clutch, battery, windsheild, tires and brakes. Ready to go."

I worry about older Subarus being fussy and expensive to maintain, however. Maybe I'm stuck in the '80s and early '90s when a close friend got two hand-me-down Subies from his mother that were kind of "iffy" as they aged. As long as we're telling road trip tales, he and I took turns driving his '81 GL two-door from Charlotte to Montreal and back one summer and (he, not me!) even managed to get a speeding ticket in it in New York state.

My next door neighbor has a WRX and when I hear that thing fire up and back out of the garage in some mornings, my first split-second thought is, "oh, no, it's trash/recycling day, I haven't wheeled out the containers to the sidewalk, and here comes the trash or recycling truck now." Really. Another guy down the street has a turbo Outback and I think the same thing, only it's not as loud due to being a few houses away. Why can't these guys drive something quieter, like a Harley-Davidson?

Random is right that you can't swing a dead cat in Colorado without hitting a Subaru wagon, though, so there must be something to them besides AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    That said, you already have a Pilot, so do you need to double up?
    YOU'RE RIGHT!

Honey, kids, come out to the garage and dig my new ride. It's much less than I said I might spend! Which ONE of you wants to go for a ride?

2000 Mazda Miata Touring Edition - $4850

Aww man, under $5K, and in my favorite color, too? Sheesh.

The answer is always Miata.
    Whoomah!

In all seriousness, though it is fun to browse craigslist with intent-to-buy, I think the "right" answer might just be to find the nicest mid-00s Accord sedan you can.
    Whoomah!

Yeah, I agree. Sorry if I've been blowing up the forum today, but I go a long time between car purchases, so I'm having fun looking around for what will be only my sixth car in 31 years of car ownership:

'74 VW SuperBeetle - 2 years
    '71 VW SuperBeetle - 6 years
    '91 Mitsubishi Mighty Max - 7 years
    '94 Camry V6 - 9 years and hated to see it go
    '99 Accord - 7 years and counting

I've known I should replace the Accord for a while now, and this weekend my wife said, "Just go do it. Get whatever makes you happy.", or words to that effect. Funny, it doesn't take much encouragement to get this "I'll just do without" penny-pincher fired up and ready to cough up thousands of dollars that should be going into my kids' college funds or my 401K or something like that.

Thanks for playing along, gents. Part of the reason I've posted all this is because I've learned many times over the years that there is SOLID advice dispensed here, and at affordable membership rates, too.

I think all I ever did to help anyone here was identify the Optima typeface for someone once, in all of 3 seconds after glancing at it.

-- a former low-rent graphic designer/pre-press kind of guy back in the days of counting GM cars on the highway with broken AC systems.
    Last edited by George; April 20th, 2015 at 02:33 PM.

... as long as it's not a V6 IIRC. I think the 7th gen V6 autos were about as bad as the 6th gen V6 autos. I don't think I would do that. May not be a concern, I don't think you can get a V6 Accord you'd actually want to own in that price range anyway on account of sheeple.

VTEC I4 LYFE!
    Whoomah!

I4 + 5-speed = mo' bettah fun than I4 + auto...or at least so thinks the guy who hasn't pushed in a clutch in seventeen years.

Funny ad title, and from a dealer, no less:

DRIVERS ONLY PLEASE ALL ELSE WHO CANNOT DRIVE A 5 SPEED PLEASE GO AWAY - $4500

Whoomah!