Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: George's Garage

Wait, these came with V8s?

I did not know that. Sure, I remember the huge '90s Impala SS, but I don't think I've ever noticed one of these. Chevies are invisible to me, except for old classics.

2008 impala ss - $6500

Hells yeah, one 300hp LS4. A cam and an intake and you'll make nearly 400hp. That car was actually "featured" in the movie Drive. I thought it was a nice touch.

You could do a lot worse for $6500 - the LS4 is a great motor and the 4T65E a stout transmission. No idea how it actually drives, though.

I think you should buy that car, enjoy it for a little while, then I will buy it from you and put the engine in the Fiero.

I don't know about the 9th gen Impala SS models, by I can tell you that the V6 models were not adequate for urban police duty. It wasn't unusual to go through at least one transmission by 60k.

The only reasons any police departments bought them is because they were the cheapest vehicle available that had any durability upgrades for police duty.

This is how I feel right now.

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Yet I just fired up the lawnmower for the first time in 2015, since the snow finally melted away today, and I got some gasoline and Gumout carb cleaner on my hands, so I feel a little more manly than I might otherwise right now.

Yeah, that's right...I'm rockin' vintage 2014 gasoline in the Briggs & Stratton.

This is my garage thread, so I can talk about lawnmowers, right?
    Last edited by George; April 20th, 2015 at 05:36 PM.

I'd be all over that Subaru if I were you.

Closely followed by the Accord; known quantity.

My E320 (1995, 198k miles) is still running as smooth as the day I bought it, with occasional hiccups. It's eating rear coils now (fires cyliners 1 and 6) every 5 months or so, but otherwise perfect.

No harm in buying anything Japanese from the nineties, or domestic from the mid noughties. Anything after than first gen Ford Fusion should be good. Prior tothat, I think they were still lazy and under developing their cars.

That Subaru does look good, but there are tons of those around here, so I can probably find one like that anytime.

This one's not for me with a salvage title, I guess, but I'm glad to see a Mazda6 wagon with a manual transmission. Bonus points for cloth seats instead of leather.

05 MAZDA6 wagon 50k original miles - $4300

These Mazda6 wagons look similar to a Suburu Legacy/Outback wagon, size-wize.

Don't be this guy

Get that weak shit off my track

I dunno, a V6 5-speed Mazda6 wagon is a pretty sweet haul.

Only issue is the short hearing on them - they pull close to 3,000 rpm at freeway speeds, which makes them very responsive but fuel guzzlers. My parents' 2013 T&C gets better mileage than their Mazda6 sedan did.

I bet the 50-series tires on Mazda6s are pricey.

You guys will think I've lost it, but at the moment I really like this van. It's so cheap that so I could happily pay to get the windows tinted and a set of wheels and snow tires and still have piles of money left over from what I thought I might spend...and get whatever maintenance this thing might need done too.

Talk me down from the ledge, fellas.

LOW MILE VAN **55K** 1994 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER, one owner - $2650

It doesn't look all that ugly. Those white scrape marks ont the bumper might "buff right out" as they say, or a touch-up pen from Pep Boys might do the trick otherwise, if those are still made these days.

Hey, there's an actual exterior lock on the rear! I bet there's one on the passenger side door(s), too. What a concept!

I'd have that dealer sticker off, Goo-Gone'd, and waxed in a matter of seconds after getting this home.

Simple instruments are good. I don't need a video game dashboard, and I especially don't need a tire pressure idiot light that's always on, regardless of how recently and perfectly I topped off the tire pressure at the local free-air car wash & gas station.

Automatic shifter is on the column, where it belongs. I bet if I pushed in that ashtray or whatever is sticking out from the lower part of the center of the dash, someone from the front seats could even move to the back of the van - that's not necessary but a noticeable change from our Pilot. Roominess > Claustrophibia. The cloth interior is preferable to leather or vinyl and can't be in terrible shape with only 55K miles...if that's accurate.

I could really use a van. I know the kids would enjoy it too. I'm not too sure what my wife would think, however.

What's the story on these, besides having been popular? Are they decently reliable or would buying something like this be a money pit?

And would I really want to be seen parking this before a job interview? That's something I may be doing later in 2015. Would people who might report to me think I was loser if I drove a 20+ year old minivan to work every day? Aw hell, they probably would think that the first time I showed up on a bicycle! Should I strap some ladders to the top and become a house painter instead?

Like most of my cases of instant lust, this feeling will probably pass soon, but right now after just seeing this ad, I'm thinking that this would be a smart buy...if it runs like a Honda, which is probably doesn't in terms of maintenance and longevity.
    Last edited by George; April 29th, 2015 at 10:40 AM.

Ha! I just got fooled. I was looking at this, wondering how in the hell anything from 2010 can be this cheap, until I saw the rear interior pic.

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan C / V 4dr Mini Van WE FINANCE EVERYONE - $6500

No, I wouldn't buy from a We Finance Everyone place, but this looks like a fine family truckster, right?

Wrong.

What's wrong with this for only $2K?

2001 Town and Country Van Chrysler $2000 OR BEST OFFER CALL NOW - $2000

Maybe it's cheap because it smells like old wet dog or worse inside. Note air freshener. I'm reminded of a Nissan Maxima I saw at CarMax back in '98 when I was shopping for a car just before buying my Camry. It was perfect - great color, beautiful interior, and priced right! But when the salesman unlocked the door, I knew they'd never sell that car. It was like the Seinfeld episode when someone with horrible body odor rode in Jerry's car and ruined it for him

But seriously, part of me wants to ride my bike to the ATM and then to this guy's place after work, get a bill of sale and the title, toss my bike in, and drive it home. I could probably get a grand for my Accord on CL, which would make this van almost free, as far as cars go.

I gotta learn more about mini-vans.
    Last edited by George; April 29th, 2015 at 11:09 AM.